What are some interesting/pretty large freshwater fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

waldo12

AC Members
Jul 20, 2010
i agree with everyone else. Clown Loaches, Elephant Noses and Kissing Gouramis will get far too big for a 55 gallon. Discus do preffer to be in groups of minimally 4 or 5 (slight aggression), so unless you have a breeding pair, it will be small for them as well.

You could do:
a pair of discus
a school of bigger tetras like bleeding heart tetras, black skirt tetras or lemon tetras
then do a school of cories or you could substitute them for the kuhlis

Also I second the AqAdvisor.com idea.
:grinyes:

ianab

AC Members
Sep 19, 2009
New Zealand
Also check the temperature range.

Discus MUST be kept over 28C (82F) and thats too warm for many of the possible tankmates.

A 55gal is OK for a school of Discus, but thats about all, not much room for tankmates.

Kissing gourami grow into a large aggressive fish, maybe 10" plus. Could live in in a 55gal, but not with much else.

Clown loaches, they are a social fish. Do best in a group of 6 or more. They are slow growers, but in the right conditions they live a LONG time and get huge. That size tank, get a bigger group of smaller loaches. Yoyo or Zebra are more suitable.

Depends how long you want the tank to run for. When you have fish that are 10 years old you start taking a long term view of tank stocking. But for a 4ft tank you want fish that max out at no more than 8", and even then mixing fish that are 8" and 2" is risky.

Ian

RiVerfishgirl

AC Members
Jan 15, 2007
Poplar Bluff, MO
Real Name
Heather
2x discus (small in size) (These might work, but I don't suggest buying very small discus from LFSs due to health and the care and constant feeding they need. Also might eat your kuhlis long term. As mentioned above need very warm water though.)

2x clown loaches (orange and black stripped) (clown loaches will eventually outgrow tank, but IMO it will take so long that's moot. The bigger problem is 2 is not enough. They prefer to shoal in large groups. And clowns like emaculate water quality and lots of feeding. Zebra loaches (Botia striata) are better suited for your setup)

1x kuhili loaches (One? Kuhli loaches, again a shoaling fish. Need groups)

1x elephant nose (Grows too large, needs special care and feeding to remain healthy)

kissing gouramis(Grow too large, and might actually eat your kuhlis long term)

school of tetras (What kind? Personally I like rummynose and glolights, both small and fairly hardy (IME))

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
razzle you steal all of my sources!!! Badmans is a good site, it needs more profiles though.

RazzleFish

AC Members
Oct 28, 2009
razzle you steal all of my sources!!! Badmans is a good site, it needs more profiles though.
:raspberry: Haha! Ya, I used to be a member over there and might re-join...... Forgot my username and pass!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store