What can be used for a planted substrate gravel?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas
I wanna get a really nice planted tank setup or at least add plants to my tanks im setting up right now......and I dont have the cash (actually im just super cheap) to buy the super expensive, eco complete, or whatever, i was wondering what cheap alternatives could be used for the different layers needed, im gonna put black gravel on the top just cus i like how it looks and I'll use fertalizers and plant food and whatnot i just dont wanna have to spend like 40 bucks on a bag of substrate.....im also gonna get a nice diy co2 setup

Hurley

aka Bunny13
Oct 2, 2005
Baltimore, Maryland
www.freewebs.com
I use Soil Master Select. Its a little light weight for some but it gets the job done and its cheap. I think I spent $15 for a 50lb bag of it. It can be a little hard to find and they may have stopped producing the charcoal colored version.

Some people use pool filter sand and there is another type of sand which I think is used for coloring in-ground pools that people use as substrate but I don't remember what its called.

FastFly67

AC Members
Sep 18, 2008
SC
i use play sand, black sand, gravel. with sand i pop in some root tabs.

Turbosaurus

AC Members
Dec 26, 2008
Yonkers, NY
People have used everything from mineralized soil (PITA) to kitty litter! (Yeah, really, kitty litter)
Enriched substrates like Ecco complete and Aquasoil by ADA really are top of the line and do make a difference, but may be more problem than solution if you're going low tech. If you want to go inert you may as well just use the gravel. It works for me. Why make it any more complicated than it needs to be? Soilmaster select is cheaper, but it comes in 50lb bags and isn't always easy to find. As for a gravel top layer, that will never stay separated from the rest of what's in your tank. Either use black gravel or use soilmaster select in charcoal. The charcoal is NOT black, but its close. If you want the clean black look of gravel, use gravel. Don't bother getting both

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas
cool thanks i was just reading up on it and most places said you needed something that wasnt as loose as gravel for the rooting of the plants, i have some play sand i might put in the bottom of the tanks then put black gravel all over it.

i have a turtle tank that i want to have a few plants in also i was wondering if you guys have any tips on plants that turtles wont just tear apart.

ONE more question i really love the effect of moss on the walls and decor of aquariums, what would you guys say is the easiest, cool looking moss or type of low ground cover plant i could grow? this would be in my turtle tank, my 25 gallon, which will be probably mollies not sure, and then in my 10 gallon betta.

THANKS

7itanium

AC Members
Jan 31, 2009
Spokane, WA
I use black flourite... its a bit cheaper.. but still on the more expensive side

but I hardly ever buy it new-- my LFS guy usually has used stuff in buckets

I get a 5g bucket FULL for like $10

blue2fyre

Blue Fish
Oct 7, 2008
Wisconsin
Real Name
Ashley
For soil in my planted tank I just used regular cheap potting soil. I mean the really cheap stuff that doesn't have anything fancy in it. I put a layer down then planted my plants and put a layer of black gravel over it. I have had no ill effects and the whole bag was only a couple bucks. My plants are growing well and my inverts are fine as well.

tap

makin it rain since 93'
Feb 22, 2009
Topcity, Kansas
Hmmm i might have to try the super cheap soil but it would be cloudy for a while probably, i just wanna get something my plants can thrive in for super cheap

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store