What can I do with a 1g?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brigid_marie

AC Members
Feb 3, 2006
Tiffin
Me again... I was given a second 1g tank (with UGF and hood... an "Aquascape 1g" model from Wal-mart). I already keep another 1g for QT, time out, moving, etc. I was wondering if I could put anything interesting in it? My betta (see signature) temporarily lived in my other 1g after he was given to me and didn't seem too happy about it, so I won't even consider it (some of you think a 1g is fine for a betta, others disagree-as do I).

*I would love an ADF, but not sure if thats enough space for one.
*Endlers? I don't know much about these fish, but I know that they can live in smaller tanks not sure if they'd go for one as small as a 1g.
*Any other small intersting creatures? (a variety of shrimp other than the ghost shrimp?)

I'm curious if there's something out there that would do well in it, not just survive (which is cruel).

Thanks!

Emg

AC Members
Jan 16, 2005
Northeast Connecticut
emgstanks.blogspot.com
Here's some pics of a couple of my one gallons. The first pic has fake plants the second is planted. If you don't want a betta in it you could get some least killies...tricksterpup could tell you about those. Shrimp are an option too, but you need to have a lid on it.

A planted tank with shrimp and snails could be nice......or 3 male endlers or male least killies. The males stay smaller and you wouldn't want anything breeding in a tank that small anyway...lol. Endlers and killies are pretty clean fish and don't wreak havoc on bioloads like some fish do...as long as you don't overfeed.

Just be sure to do regular water changes and maintenance....adding live plants will help alot. Java fern and water sprite are great plants for low light situations....you could even add a very small peice of driftwood or rock for interest sake. Amazing what you can do with a small tank as long as you take care of it.

I have a couple of small tanks that I put newly born baby guppies or endlers in until they're big enough not to get eaten in the larger tank. If you have some live bearers you could put a few of the babies in there and just move them out after they grow some. Water changes every day though, which isn't a big deal in such a small tank. Takes me 3 minutes tops because I have water sitting aside and ready to use all the time.

Whatever you put in there just be sure it doesn't need a heater. There is just no dependable way to heat a tank that small unless you keep the entire room up to temp or leave a light on over it all the time. (btw, these tanks are in a cubby area which helps to keep the temps stable and we don't turn our thermostats down in winter)

Anyway...the pics:

Last edited:

Ms.Bubbles

AC Members
Sep 26, 2005
I love small tanks, but I think 1 g is really too small. The only idea I think is feasible is putting a few TINY baby guppies in there, and only until they start to grow. I have 2 male endlers (which are less than 1 "), and they use up the entire 3 gallon tank I have them in. I can't imagine them being happy in 1/3 of that space. My betta went nuts in both a 3 gallon and a 5 gallon, and is finally acting normal since I put him in a 10 gallon. That's my experience.

tetramoon13

AC Members
Jun 14, 2006
Milton, NH
I LOVE those 1g. tanks......like little pieces of living art! tastefully done!

fishcatch22

The Picotoper
Jun 13, 2006
Morris, Illinois
1-2 ghost shrimp. no more.

brigid_marie

AC Members
Feb 3, 2006
Tiffin
What about an ADF? Just curious.

Otherwise... what are some interesting varieties of shrimp?

eurostar

AC Members
Jun 5, 2006
id do maybe three ghost shrimp or any shrimp, put some java moss across the bottom and some other neat plants.

Web Gazelle

Guardian Of The Cave
Dec 1, 2004
Planet Earth
Maybe hatch some brine shrimp for feeding to your fish.

momar

Born too late
Jan 6, 2006
UK
2 ADFs would be ok. Maybe even 3.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store