What can tolerate full blown salt?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ejmeier

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
www.nano-reef.com
I was just wondering which fish are capable of living in a saltwater aquarium that is using full-strength seawater (35ppt).

Provided they are acclimated correctly, which fish would be okay for such a setup.

I already know that mollies will be fine with this amount of salt, but how about other livebearers such as guppies, swordtails, or platies?

MonoSebaelover

Anableps
Apr 20, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
www.shiredalefarm.com
I'm not quite sure what you are asking and what strength of salt that is. What are you measuring? You don't mean 1.035 right. If you were that is extremely high but I am assuming you are not using that. If you are talking about full strength saltwater then mollies are the only of the livebearers that will thrive in saltwater, the rest do best in brackish. Anyway, hope this helps.

ejmeier

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
www.nano-reef.com
Well, what you quoted (1.035) is specific gravity which varies with temperature, so that's why I used the ppt reading. In an average temperature (can't remember the exact readings on the chart) 35ppt is equal to roughly 1.024 or 1.025 sg.

Anyway, I am looking for a breeding pair for my reef tank. Their recurring offspring will make great food for many of my reef inhabitants.

I have been considering using guppies because they are so colorful (would fit in better in a reef setting) and fit all of my needed requirements. I looked them up on fishbase.org and it said they have a wide range of salinity.

I have heard a report that someone's LFS recieved a batch of "SW fancy guppies" that were apparently living in saltwater. Do you think such a thing is feasible, and if not why?

Hehe, sorry for the barrage of questions, but this has really caught my interest.:)

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
Guppies have been known to survive and even thrive in full strength seawater. The same goes for mollies. If you're looking for a brackish to salt fish and have a large (100+g) tank, you could try scats...monos, columbian cat sharks, GSPs (not community safe), among others as well. Most brackish fish are born in BW and eventually move out to sea as adults.

tricksterpup

It's SPRING!!! BUNNIE RABBITS
Apr 16, 2001
Minneapolis
tricksterpupstanks.blogspot.com
Real Name
Jim Soos
Originally posted by ejmeier
Anyway, I am looking for a breeding pair for my reef tank. Their recurring offspring will make great food for many of my reef inhabitants.
Problem I have found with this is that Livebearers are very timid in a reef setting and will be bullied by the SW fish. And will eventually die due to the stress and may not breed for you. If you want a breeding stock, I would do a second tank so they could breed in the saftey and comfort of their own tank.

jim

ejmeier

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
www.nano-reef.com
I guess it would all depend on what fish are stocked in the tank. Most reef tanks are somwhat peaceful communities, though there will be an occasional bully (like damsels).

Anyway, I have already given up on this idea because it would simply look too unnatural. Plus, I don't want another tank.... I've already got too many.

ejmeier

AC Members
Jun 15, 2003
www.nano-reef.com
Well, I have two reefs, and a FW. I guess its not really the number, but more or less the maintenance required for each tank. I am not one for doing daily chores, with the exception of feeding of course.

Anyway, I like to think of my tanks as "art", and I really try to make them look good both inside and out. I hide all of the equpiment in a cabinet or under the stand. I simply don't have room for a breeding tank; somehow I just can't envision a molly breeding tank as being "art".:)

cdawson

AC Members
Jan 6, 2003
Vancouver BC
Visit site
I hear ya, i feel the same way. I've littered my rec room downstairs with 8 pieces of "art" =)
However, you've got just about the same amount of work having two reef tanks. I commend you on that, I don't think I'd have enough patience to keep a reef tank. My 50g planted tank tests my patience enough as it is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store