What Cichlids To Buy Next?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Sorry for the wait, i didnt have much time to do much of anything this week so far but anyways i found two cichlids that are less common in the trade but not unheard of.
1.) paratilapia polleni
2.) paratilapia bleekeri
These fish look very similar but there are small difference between the two. I didnt look into the differences but they are both goodlooking and get reasonably large, up to about 12" but most stay closer to 10 inches. So not to big and not to small. Very hardy fish that can withstand temperatures from the high 60's to the low 80's (68-82) and a Ph range of 6.5-8.0. They prefer sandy bottom but fine gravel is OK with lots of hiding spots such as clay pots and caves. Hardy plants such as anubias and ferns could be placed into the tank attached to driftwood or anything else. They are piscivores so smaller fish will become food if they can fit in its mouth. They are agressive towards heterospecific fish( fish of the same species) but can be kept with other robust cichlids and they can hold their own in territorial disputes. Hope this helps you. Thats all the info i gathered on these fish but im sure youll also do your research and dig up some more. Ill keep looking for more fish for you( and me because i just lost four fish and now have an extra 40B available :D)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Sorry bout the losses you had. I read that polleni is more aggressive then bleekeri also polleni is the small spot variety where bleekeri is the large spot. There is something I read about them that turned me off to them. Forgot what exactly.

What are you wanting? Peaceful or aggressive?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I was thinking of a large-ish aggresive single wetpet for my 40B. I know they were already mentioned but how about some mayans?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
There cool only some look really nice others look kinda drab
Yeah. I figure it must been a genetic thing. Sort of like buying fish from a reputable dealer vs. Petsmart. Have you found any that you are leaning towards yet?

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I juat looked up some info of the cichlasoma festae aka red festae or red terror. Females max out at 12" and males can grow up to 20". These are just POSSIBLE sizes they can reach so i think you could pull it off in your tank as long as its just a single or a pair.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
I was looking at pictures of the different cichlids I like side by side and I think I'm gonna go with the Trimacs. Red Terrors are cool looking but there temperament seems to be a huge problems from stories I read online. They seem worse then I am ready to deal with. Maybe in the future I'll acquire some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store