What disease is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Knamaky

Registered Member
Nov 14, 2017
White spots all over a pair of Blue Acara. Originally thought maybe ich, but treated for that with no success. Spots have since spread and in some areas look fuzzy. Thinking maybe a fungus but not sure. Started treating two days ago with Pimafix but has only gotten worse over the last couple of days.

pH 7.8-8.0
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
Nitrates 5-10 ppm

IMG_5583.JPG IMG_5581.JPG IMG_5580.JPG

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Certainly looks like ich, which can lead to secondary issues. What did you use to treat the ich? Are you sure it isn't expired? What else is in the tank? Primafix is more of an aid than a treatment.

Knamaky

Registered Member
Nov 14, 2017
I used API Super Ick Cure (blue liquid). Turned up the temps and followed the instructions on the label. If I remember right I treated once, waited 48 hours, treated again, waited 48 hours and then did a water change.

By what else is in the tank, do you mean fish? If so, it's a 75 gal tank with the following fish:
2 - Blue Acara
2 - Albino Bristlenose Pleco
4 - Bloodfin Tetra
1 - Rainbow Shark
1 - Anglfish (was 2 but one died a few weeks back and we never could figure out why - it had no signs of disease)

The tank has been well established (6 years). The Acara are the newest fish, so it's possible they brought in a disease from the pet store.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Could have been a bad bottle (expired, mishandled etc). I've only had ich twice and both times I increased heat to about 80-86F (depending on fish, yours should be fine at the upper end) and created a brine mixture at a rate of 1 tsp per gallon (20 tsp for 20gs, 3 tsp in a tbls btw) and added it the tank slowly over the course of a day, then maintain temp and salinity for 10 days. Make sure to increase aeration, higher temp waters hold less oxygen. And remove any real plants beforehand, I see fake ones but wanna be sure. After the 10 days do a good gravel vac and 25%+ water change and then I like to do daily water changes/vacs for a while to remove salt and dead ich.

If you prefer meds try Ich-X. Never used it but I hear good results.

What temp are you running at currently? Temps over like 86F can be enough to kill the ich but anything lower without salt or meds is just increasing the infestation.

Quarantine in the future. It's really worth it.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yep, I'd crank the heat to as high as you can get and your fish will tolerate. Monitor carefully of course. Increase aeration and reduce feeding during this time. Lots of water changes with gravel vacs to get out as much of the free swimming and settled ich parasite as you can.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It is ICH. I have only used Salt and Heat to cure.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store