What do I need for my tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NewZealandFish

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
I have a new, empty 35 gallon aquarium, 91cm Long, 38cm High and 38cm Deep.
I need help, i want an awesome looking planted tank, with glosso, amazon sword, osiris sword, cyperus, indian fern etc...
I have a Co2 System already on the go.
I need to know what else i need for the tank, how many watts of light I need, what fish would be good in there and are hardy, what other plants would be good etc.
All information is appreciated thanks!!!

eraagne

AC Members
Aug 9, 2010
Many different dwarf cichlids appreciate a well planted tank. Most of the river varieties appreciate the same low ph the plants you're picking do. Also gouramis, killifish, most tetras, corys, plecos and rasboras do well in lower ph water.

But in the end my vote would be for the killifish or the cichlids as your main fish. They just have such wonderful colors and if you're keeping low ph for the plants and maybe use leaf liter or something to get black water you will get very vibrant healthy fish.

Some cichlids like to munch plants though so research a bit.

I can't offer any advice on plants all though I picked up a cool book "Mini Enyclopedia Aquarium Plants" by Peter Hiscock. Very nice layout and description and easy to find the plant type you're looking for.

NewZealandFish

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
Thanks!

wespastor

AC Members
Feb 28, 2010
Dry Ferts would be in order. And shoot for about 3 watts per gallon and then that depends on the type of lighting system that you intend on using. Shoot for a colour spectrum of 6500 K to 10000 K. Keep your lighting on a timer too be sure and break up the photo period. Shoot for about 4 hours on (morning), 4 hours off (midday most people are at work anyway), 4 hours on (evening), Off at night remaining time.
This breaking up the photo period keeps impending algae at bey.

Hope this helps some.

Best wishes,
Wes

FSM

Pastafarian
Mar 30, 2008
Georgia
I would say 2x39W T5HO, but the tank is pretty shallow (38 cm - 15 in) so a single bulb might work. Don't worry about watts per gallon, it's pretty much useless. I use just 108W on my "high tech" 75 gallon, but everything is growing great.

NewZealandFish

AC Members
Sep 2, 2010
New Zealand
Real Name
Matt
i just wonder because I dont know what to do, when I plant ambulia in this tank its roots die, and in my 50l with a 22 Watt light, it grows like a bush, so i need to know if i should replace my light (which im trying to avoid) or get a stronger bulb, risking that it might blow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store