What do inflamed/red gills look like?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

caykuu

AC Members
Jul 28, 2011
Does this guppy have inflamed/red gills?

I'm trying to determine what the appearance of "inflamed" is. :s I'm getting a batch of moderately expensive blue-green deltas in 2~3 days, and I'm frantic to make sure my current guppy isn't sick.
Is it natural to have some pink/red inside of the gill when it opens, and some pink viewed from the underside of guppies? (less than the one pictured)

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
If you lift the operculum slightly (gill cover plate) the gills should be a healthy pink much like your gums are. A dark red, white or brown would indicate poor heath and possibly an unhealthy tank.There are as many reasons this could occur and would require going thru a symptoms chart to figure out what might be the cause. In other words, it can be a difficult undertaking.

caykuu

AC Members
Jul 28, 2011
Alright, got a good estimate. =) Thanks for replying guys.
The image isnt of my guppy, just an image I found online and thought looked suspicious. :s

WObblescat

Registered Member
Jun 4, 2018
I'm having a similar problem with my female guppy tank, 10 gallons 5-6 months old, all my parameters are all spot on, I do weekly 50% water changes, there are 7 adult females and around 20 something fry including accidentally breed some muppets (balloon Molly female/male guppy) is it just to overloaded, the fry are really small I thought I'd have a month to get a fry tank set up, periodically some of my females gills look very inflamed

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store