What does a shrimp...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CerenaDaft

AC Members
Oct 17, 2011
www.youtube.com
what does a crossbred neo/cardina shrimp look like? I hear everyone say to look out to keep them from cross breeding but what does an offspring look like? :confused:

SHWAGert

RAGE QUIT!
Feb 11, 2011
NC
Real Name
Daniel
It would really depend on what two shrimp crossbreed as to what they will look like. However, as a more generalized answer to your question, each time the shrimp interbreed the babies will start to look more and more like wild-caught shrimp.

bradlgt21

AC Members
May 9, 2009
Chicagoland, Illinois
Real Name
Brad
I didn't know different species can cross breed. Same species can cross breed for instance Cherry Red Shrimp and a Snowball shrimp can cross breed. The babies aren't ideal because instead of having bright red shrimp or snow white shrimp you will have washed out red and redish white shrimp. A mix in the middle which won't be as bright and colorful.

Mgamer20o0

BobsTropicalPlants.com
Staff member
Jun 4, 2003
www.bobstropicalplants.com
what bradlgt21 said they warning is neos that can cross breed or cardina that can cross. there are several types of shrimp all from the same species or close enough to cross. yellows rili cherry snow ball they have brown ones and orange ones as well. on the other side there are like the black bees and crystal reds that will cross. there 5-6 different strains of tigers.

people claim the neos will look morel ike the wild type if crossed. i personally never done it.

msjinkzd

AC Members
Feb 11, 2007
PA
msjinkzd.com
Real Name
Rachel O'Leary
neocaridina and caridina cannot hybridize, they are different genus.

Within thegenus, a lot has to do with where they are from. For instance, indian species don't hybridize with asian.

Here is a picture of a tibee, which is a cross of a tiger and a bee shrimp (bothasian caridina):hybrid-shrimp.jpg

hybrid-shrimp.jpg

SHWAGert

RAGE QUIT!
Feb 11, 2011
NC
Real Name
Daniel
When I first started keeping shrimp years ago, was the only time I ever had my shrimp interbreed and revert to wild coloration. I had one 20g tank mixed with between 50-80 cherry, snowball, and blue pearl shrimp. After about 6 months to a year I noticed that slowly and surely my tank was being populated with unusually (wild) colored shrimp. By the time that three years had passed, my tank was filled with more crossbred shrimp than not. It is not an immediate transformation, it takes a few generations of interbreeding for the coloration to change.

The cherry shrimp turned kind of brownish/dark red
The blue pearl/snowball shrimp (different color morphs of the same shrimp) turned a brownish/gray color.

vwill279

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Real Name
Vanessa
I didn't know different species can cross breed. Same species can cross breed for instance Cherry Red Shrimp and a Snowball shrimp can cross breed. The babies aren't ideal because instead of having bright red shrimp or snow white shrimp you will have washed out red and redish white shrimp. A mix in the middle which won't be as bright and colorful.
Snowballs and cherries are same genus (neocardinia), different species. And when they mix, you wont get pink shrimp unless there's some strange mutation. In general, you'll get what others have said... reverting to wild type, which is generally a brown coloration that blends in with the dead leaves, mud, and stones of their native habitat. This is for neocardinia. I've never looked into cardinia, so I cant say if it is the same for them. But in general, all dwarf shrimp species of the same genus are generally considered close enough to hybridize and shouldnt be risked housing together if you want to keep your stock pure and colorful.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store