What does ick look like?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jeffd1979

AC Members
Nov 18, 2003
charlotte nc
Visit site
Well i will discontinue the meds.. i have been doing the heat and salt method but i have run into a problem.. i can't get my tank over 82 degrees.. i have my heater on max and it won't go any higher... Guess i need a bigger heater...

Originally posted by daveedka

I've never tried it, and it would really be overkill, the deciding factor is the stress it causes your fish. The reason I like the heat a salt method is that ich meds cause way more stress IME, with delicate or smooth skinned fish ICH meds often are reccomended at half dose, and Even then these fish are at a great risk. I have lost several pictus cats to ich meds, but the salt didn't seem to bother them. If you fish don't show stress signs beyond what the ich is already causing, you could try it but it really isn't necessary. Remember that while you see the spots on the fish, the ich can't be killed. It is after it releases (hatches I guess) that is is succeptable , and even then I believe from what I read in the article that it is most succeptable to be killed when it goes into the free swimming state while it tries to find a new host. At this point in the life cycle it can't survive salt excessive heat or meds so it won't ever get back to your fish.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Bgger heater or a second small one would work, something to bear in mind, the salt will kill the ich without the heat, ICH won't survive above 86* typically and that is why that temp is reccomended ( the double whammy effect). The great advantage of the elevated temp is that it speeds up the life cycle of the ich, and allows you to kill it off quicker. at 82 you will accomplish this. In other words if the tank was at 70 the salt treatment may take 4-5 weeks. at 76 about 1 1/2 weeks, at 86 1 week is plenty. These are not exact numbers just examples to show my point. I personally treated my tank for twice the reccomended time just to make sure there was no chance for the ich to survive.

RobUK

AC Members
Apr 16, 2004
Hi al,
Think I may have ICH aswell.....

One of my parrot fish this morning was showing a few whitespots, buy tonight he is covered in what looks like salt/sand grains :(

I am gonna go for the Salt/heat method rather than meds

My main concern is will my 2 parrot fish, Sailfin Pleco and zebra catfish servive the heat/salt OK. The only sick fish is the one parrot all the others are not stressed out at all.

What do you think???

If everything is OK, I know it has to be introduced slowly, but how do you go about removing the salt, I assume a huge water change?

daveedka

Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
IME the salt/heat method has been less stressful than any meds I have used. the key is to raise both very slowly and watch your fish. Of course the fish will already be somewhat stressed due to the ich, but you should be able to tell if the stress is getting too high if you watch them. I treated the 115 with this method, with all of the fish listed below in the tank. The pictus is one fish that seldom tolerates ich meds, and traditionally die anytime you look at them cross-eyed. With the salt and heat he responded very well, and he was the fish which was badly infected to boot.

Remember as you raise things, 1 tsp salt per gallon will get the job done, but you can go as high as 3 I targeted 2 tsp per gallon, but really slowed down the salt addition after I got it up to 1 tsp.

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
It’s been a while since I have treated a fish for Ick, the last case was with a fish I rescued from the local aquarium society I belong to. I (too) like to use the salt/heat method. I do not find medications that work too well... or should I say, no better than the previous method(s) described.

The key is to do profuse water changes, every day or two if you can. Do large water changes, about 30%. I would also keep the water temperature above 86 degrees F.

Last edited:

RobUK

AC Members
Apr 16, 2004
Ok...
I have started raising my temp and adding salt. I have also been given by a friend an "interpret" whitespot treatment he bought but never used. It contains thats Formaldyde stuff so it sounds ok.

I was wondering would there be any harm in using this aswell as the heat/salt method ????

Also AGF I assume you mean start the water changes once I have cured the ICH (otherwise how will I know my salt - water ratio)

Thanks, and sorry to hijack the thread a little :)

daveedka

Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Measure your water changes add salt accordingly. If your target is 2 tsp, you remove 3 gallons add 6 tsp when you refill. one of the reasons I go with 2 tsp as a target is that If I'm off by a little due to water changes, I'm still in the deadly range for ICH and the safe range for most fish. Since the ich life cycle includes a stage where they reside in the substrate, the water changes and vaccuming are a good way to get rid of many of the little nasties. Water changes alone will never get all of them, but they will significantly reduce the numbers and your salt will kill the rest when they go looking for a host in a few days.

RobUK

AC Members
Apr 16, 2004
The fish are lookin a little bit better tonight (probally more wishfull thinking)
I'll post up in a week, hopefully with a healthy tank and no dead fishes (fingers crossed ;))

aquariumfishguy

Social Regular
Jul 14, 2003
Michigan, USA
www.care4fish.com
Daveedka hit that one head on...

... The water changes only make it easier to kill the remaining infestations. A little more salt than usual will not kill 99% of fish; so do not worry if you are not perfectly precise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store