What exactly is a "show" quality fish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

crenicichla

AC Members
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
at aca there was 4 tanks i believe (show tanks) 1 of them had some shell dwelling fish they set the tanks up the day before the judging was to commence (10 gallons with some 20gallons available) they were beautiful i think next ACA i might setup a show tank to see if i win anything, they gave away awards to the winners

and Mo you better get taking some pics man!! gotta win some awards next aca!!!!!

MoJo

AC Members
Sep 2, 1998
Dallas, PA
www.aquamojo.com
Jamison...what Anton said is right on. As for stressing your fish? Not gonna happen if you do it right. Nobody is competing with what you have? What is it you have? The only reason I asked is becasue you were handing out info on showing fish like you had some experience. BTW...the last entry fee I paid was two bucks...and I won twenty. It pays to play if you got the goods to show.

Mattimeo

AC Members
Jan 6, 2000
Ontario, Canada
Mo... think I shoudl enter one of my sals when they get bigger?? Or do you think some hemichromis frempongi in full breeding garb would look better to the judges?

vfrex

AC Members
Feb 26, 2002
New Jersey
Just don't add the hemichromis in a new world cichlid show ;)

seriously though...mo, would you mind if we made a thread dedicated to member submitted pics. So I guess, say matt would post a pic of his salvini and the judge (you) would comment on if you believe the fish is capable of taking a position at a show.

Would that be a possibility?

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
thats a cool idea, maybe a members fish of the month or something.

:D

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
Vfrex,

That is a GREAT I dea.. I second the idea. A forum to post pics of your tanks and fish and be able to make comments on them... excellent!

Tom Griffin

AC Members
Aug 18, 2000
Cleveland, OH, USA
www.tomsfish.net
Speaking from a judge's point of view.....

When i judge a fish...each fish first is judgd on its merits.

I look for size...it is to or near standards set for that fish? If not, it's not likely to get further considertion unless there arent othr quality entries that meet that criteria.

Finnage....is the fish in good condition...and finnage tells a lot. I look for clen lines, but not trimmed. Too many exhibitors trim finnage to meet what they think is expectation. You can tell, and it will weigh against the fish. Are the fins held erect and is the fish alert? Tells me much about the health and vigor of the fish.

Displaced scales. I have eliminated many an otherwise wonderful fish simply because of handling. It is missing scales, an that takes away from the actual appearance. The judging I do is on that fish that day...not how it MIGHT look. Harsh to someone who thought they had it in the bag...but how a fish is hanled says much.

Color...does the fish meet what I classify...what standards classify...as proper color? I expect a minimal amount of fading in a fish...this isnt the home tank and its a bare tank to boot. If the fish absolutely glows with color, chances ar its been hormonally enhanced...good ole testosterone...and if it comes down to two fish and one seems too good to be true...likely it is.

Deportment...does the fish respond well to stimulus...or does it hide behind the sponge filter and require prodding to turn for exazmination? Chances are the very reason it is hiding will also detract from its color and how it holds its fins...if it hides likely it wont place.

There are other factors that will determin which fish wins and which one doesnt. Consistancy is a key...very often its the shower, not the fish, that makes a difference. In our area a gentleman by the name of Ron Georgionne shows a lot of very nice cichlids, both new world and old. Ron knows how to hndle his fish...and he wins a lot of classes and usually is in the running for if not winning best in show. Why...he does it right. As often as not I find myself looking for reasons why NOT to give Ronnie the ribbons...and you know its his fish even though its a blind show...it shows in the fish.

so what defines a show quality fish...not a thing. Anyone can sell you a fish that they proudly call show quality. Will it win a show...who knows. But it can be entered...any fish can be entered...thus..by definition...any fish is potentially show quality....

its al semntics...designed to sell fish...and it works.

a quality show fish is different mtter...and its not from some strenuous breeding program...its from the care that a fish is given. The best bred fish shows for nothing if its not cared for. Thats what I look for when I judge.

JamisonBWolsh

I am what I am. Defender of truth!
Nov 1, 2002
Hawaii
I got an Idea. Since you are a judge. Can I enter in one of my fish and "do you a favor"..Is that one way to win?

Like the russian and the american ice skating scandel....

:D :D :D

A Political joke..

Tom Griffin

AC Members
Aug 18, 2000
Cleveland, OH, USA
www.tomsfish.net
cant say s anyone ever offered me a bribe<G>

cant say as i expect it will ever happen.

people who show fish are pretty serious hobbyists.

they tend to do it without the intrigue...closest to shady is fin trimming and hormones...

but judging is for the most part closed...so we are usually left alone...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store