What fish did you start off in the hobby with?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Skippy

Grand Poobah of Fun
Aug 22, 2000
Dallas, TX
web.of.slacking.net
Years ago.... my roommate got a 35 gallon tank for free from an ex of his.

We figured we'd give it a shot.. that's what got me started.

The first fish we populated it with were a batch of 8 black skirt tetras. They survived more than I care to admit that tank went through. This is about 4 years ago. The last of them died seeming of old age about a month back. They got to be rather large.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
my first fish were searpe tetras followed by a week later zebra danio babies(they were about a quarter of an inch and two females made it), the next fish to go into the mix, pristilla tetras, columbian blue tetras, ottos, pygmy cories.

way over stocked the twenty gallon tank but I was religeous about water changes

but that is not the best part while I was in the process of getting the fish into the twenty(didn't know about fishless cycling)

I saw some chocolate gourami's at the lfs.... yes not two months after haveing my first fish I went and got a 5 gal tank put plants in it cycled it with some of my other fish got 4 chocolates and 4 neons/cardinal I was doing fine with them(6 months)until I was stupid and put something that leached copper and other mettals into the water and slowly killed them all

so yeah I leaped off the deep end of fish keeping, but I was doing something right...... I will list the fish I had spawn in my tanks then....... zebra danio raised some, searpe tetra raised some, colombian blue tetras, pristilla tetras, pygmy cory, and neon tetra, the chocolate gourami's paired up but didn;t get further than that

Nippy

Sweetie's keeper
May 26, 2002
Fairbanks, Alaska
3 Oscars in a 55 which rapidly turned into 2 Oscars in a 75, 2 in a 55 and a baby Jaguar in a 10. One year after that, I had aquired a total of 13 tanks and 120+ fish.

SwedishFish

FiSH FrEaK
May 25, 2003
Visit site
mine was 10g disaster

i had a black skirt tetra, a pleco, a leopard cory, some tetras and all these fish that were crammed into a little 10g but my very first fish was a betta in a bowl that i thought loved to eat peace plant roots but it turned out it only te them due to being so hungry :(

Dahlia

AC Members
Sep 3, 2003
South Carolina
www.livejournal.com
Goldfish get a rough lot in life I think. When I was 6 or 7 I received a 10 gallon tank from my dad (no hood and a cheap hartz filter, the kind with floss and charcoal). He went and picked up 8 feeder goldfish and brough them home. He was of the belief that the older the water is, the healthier the fish will be. We would let water sit for weeks in a bucket before topping off the tank. The only tank maintenance I was taught was to clean the filter and change the floss and charcoal (we did both at the same time, as far as we knew all floss did was trap the gunk). The fish also endured the overzealous feedings of a small kid (they are opening and closing their mouths so they MUST still be hungry!). I am not sure how, but they survived at least 3 years of this poor care. I believe they died shortly after a filter media change once they were larger. I don't remember EVER doing a partial water change... we didn't have a siphon.

Sometime after that I checked out an aquarium book from the library (I still have the same library card I got when I was 6... and for some reason they let me use it), and spent a lot of time feeling guilty about how my fish had died.

Now my dad wants an aquarium, and he asked ME to teach him how to take care of them.

Iced Galaxy

AC Members
Apr 2, 2003
Visit site
um...........my first fish is 2 zebra danio and a plec. living in a 1 g tank:eek: yes.....that's was like 1.5 yrs ago.............but i trade the plec in.......and 1 of the zebra danio is still swimming in the tank

Dapple2

AC Members
Jul 3, 2003
Oregon
pictures.care2.com
My first fish were some platies, swords and mollies given to me by one of my teachers right before summer break. They went into a 10g and promptly had babies a couple weeks later triggering the purchase of my second tank a 20g and :eek: a 25g about a month or two later and it was all downhill from there....

MrGoodbytes

...has a research topic! :)
Nov 27, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
I started off with some goldfish in a bowl but they died and I couldn't figure out why.
Then I went to the library and got some aquarium books. And so I started my learning.
After that it's a little blurry, but I think I got a few cardinals, some platies or guppies, and a cory or two in a 10 gallon my dad gave me. It had all kinds of old school equipment from the 70's but I was happy 'cause I couldn't really afford much at 12.
A month or two later I discovered Aquarium Fish Magazine.

Graeme

chefkeith

Loach Inspector
Aug 17, 2003
Detroit
My 1st fish

Back at my old college house we were handed down a 30 g tank, with a 6" Oscar (named Mr. Johnson) and a 5" Jack Dempsy( named Seth). None of us knew anything about fish so we feed them nothing but feeder fish and we changed the water about once every month with untreated tap water. After the water change, the fish would go in a coma for a few hours, which we thought was normal. Ended up trading the fish in for a 3 legged alligator (named Stimpy) and feed him nothing but mice. That was 10 years ago, and I still wonder what happened to my old friends. Wish we had the internet back then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store