What fish eat this hair algae?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

daltexdiver

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
This is correct. DoreenJoy.

Get SAE, reduce photo period if using lights, use phosphate removing resins in filters, change water weekly. This will do it. I had a hair algae plantation. Use all of the above in combination and it worked. Injecting CO2 will help too.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
this thread is waaay old. hopefully the problem has been solved by now. if not, here's a tip - don't put pond water into your tank unless the fish in your tank came from that pond. it's a good way not only to introduce problems like algae, but also diseases and parasites.

AquariArt

AC Members
May 2, 2008
If you buy algae eaters be sure to get the Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE) and not the Chinese Algae Eaters. The Siamese look similar to the Chinese in that they have a similar body shape and have a dark lateral band, except for the band of the SAE extends through a portion of the tail fin and the CAE does not. I bought three for my 37 gallon tank and they are doing a great job cleaning! I paid $8.00 for the 3 at the LFS

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
What size do they normally get?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
If you buy algae eaters be sure to get the Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE) and not the Chinese Algae Eaters. The Siamese look similar to the Chinese in that they have a similar body shape and have a dark lateral band, except for the band of the SAE extends through a portion of the tail fin and the CAE does not. I bought three for my 37 gallon tank and they are doing a great job cleaning! I paid $8.00 for the 3 at the LFS
Mouth shape is another. SAE's don't have the suction cup-like mouth that the CAE does.

What size do they normally get?
CAE-8-10 inches
SAE-6 inches

:grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store