What fish mix well with mollies (not goldfish, i've learnt!)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
There is far more to brackish water than just salt. This is not an excuse. It's a fact. If you feel the need to add salt for disease prevention, perhaps you should take a look at your water quality instead.

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
What is Brackish water then? Look, all I am saying is that I have read that mollies do best in slightly salted water. I'm not saying your wrong or that I'm right. I will do some more research on it, I've already done tons of research on it and that is what it always comes up with, so who am I to believe?

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
Hahaha! I have just been on www.FishDoc.net and it says to put a little salt in an molly aquarium! He said they thrive in low salinity levels becuase they are fish who live off the Gulf Coast in South America, common in esturies. Don't tell me you don't believe him! He's an expert, for god's sake! He even said that before he kept his mollies in low salinity water they hadn't lived for too long, but when he started adding salt they lived for 5 years!

HAHAHA! I LOVE PROVING EVERYBODY RIGHT! :laugh: ;) :D :mad2:

denali1234

AC Members
Mar 22, 2005
Moose Jaw , Sask, Canada
Ummm...........there is a lot of people here that know their stuff as well. You can learn a lot if you listen. I have kept Mollies for sometime with no salt. I did at first, but read on this forum that it was unneccessary, so I stopped. My mollies thrive.
They are your fish, and you do what you think is best to keep them in the best care. People were only offering advice.........take or don't.

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
You're not replying back because you know I've won this whole 'salt and mollies' battle!

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
Yes, but what are the side effects of using salt? Whst actually happens to the fish that is bad? Do they get ill? If so, what illness?

You are not giving me valid reasons for not using salt.

jennypenny

AC Members
Oct 30, 2005
Athens, Ohio
I just hope that no one is adding and removing salt over this discussion. (what ever you choose to believe, keep the level constant.) Too much or quick changes in salt level can quickly dehydrate your fish.

Anywho I like livebrears with mollies, but they might all have hybrid babies together. I also think that just different types of mollies look nicely together. All of the diferent color and fin varities can make for a beautiful selection. PLus they can all be happy in the smame conditions.

reiverix

Aye
Sep 4, 2004
Columbus, OH
Well I'm not looking at this as a battle and find it unfortunate that you are treating this as some kind of petty game.

To create brackish water (which is anything above a SG of 0 and below that of natural sea water at around 1.024) you need to use a real marine salt mix. Sodium chloride is just one ingredient. There's around 70 elements found in sea water, such as high quantities of calcium and magnesium, with traces of other elements like strontium.

You most definately are not creating a brackish tank and neither is the FishDoc guy. I keep a brackish tank myself, not with mollies though. I'd keep mollies in FW (no salt added) unless I knew they were wild caught from a brackish environment.

Anyway you keep believing what you want about your precious does-it-all-aquarium-salt. It's become increasingly obvious that everyone who is not on this forum is an expert :duh:

Galaxie

AC Members
Feb 4, 2005
VA
Fishy, don't you have a couple other threads about your mollies being sick?
If I were you, I'd wait a while to stock new fish. If you have an internal parasite it is possible it can spread slowly to all of your fish. Are you treating for whatever is killing your mollies?

A good amount of salt to add for most livebearers is 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons. At that quantity, it does nothing bad nor beneficial and the local dealer has your money, so everyone is happy.

fIsHy13

not a troll
Oct 5, 2005
Thanx, Galaxie, that's all I wanted to hear. I just wanted to know if salt harmed fish but nobody would tell me. Your question, am I treating the fish? Well I have decided to humanley euthanise 'SweetPea' as I like to call her, bacuse her condition is probaly too far in to be treated. I believe it was an interbal infection , yes, becuase there were no pysical signs of illness on her body. How do I go about treating all of the tank that might have got infected to? Please help!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store