What fish THRIVE in pH 8?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jennisof

Registered Member
Feb 17, 2007
Howdy,

I'm looking for stocking suggestions. :)

Considering starting a 20 gallon tank with our local pH 8 water (alkalinity 300+ ppm kH). Will include otos, and ghost or bamboo shrimp, and may put in a couple apongeton (sp?) bulbs. Would prefer to avoid aggression issues between fish.

Would prefer to try something other than platies/guppies/mollies/swordtails, or goldfish. Most of the tetras need much softer water to thrive. Haven't done cichlids except angelfish (tank's too small, anyway), but they could be an option.

What I'm really limited by is lack of knowledge of interesting species that can handle this harsh water condition.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jenn

FisheyLisa

Fish-a-roni
Nov 2, 2004
CT
have you tried looking at the species profiles here on AC? OR places like MyFishTank.net? Live aquaria.com also has species profiles.

liv2padl

cichlidophile
Oct 30, 2005
north carolina
Most of the tetras need much softer water to thrive.
not really, almost any fish you buy at your LFS will do just fine at a ph of 8.

Mar 29, 2007
Howdy,

I'm looking for stocking suggestions. :)

Considering starting a 20 gallon tank with our local pH 8 water (alkalinity 300+ ppm kH). Will include otos, and ghost or bamboo shrimp, and may put in a couple apongeton (sp?) bulbs. Would prefer to avoid aggression issues between fish.

Would prefer to try something other than platies/guppies/mollies/swordtails, or goldfish. Most of the tetras need much softer water to thrive. Haven't done cichlids except angelfish (tank's too small, anyway), but they could be an option.

What I'm really limited by is lack of knowledge of interesting species that can handle this harsh water condition.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jenn
I wouldnt do otos, they are pretty fragile and they were in my tank of 7.8 ph with tons of algae (ornaments, back glass completely covered in diatoms) for them but they didnt make it past 2 months, i wouldnt get otos in a tank this size or in a ph of that, of course you can try but you never know.....

ct-death

Fish & Visitors Smell in 3 Days...
Feb 27, 2007
New Hampshire
In two words: Slow Acclimation! Most fish will do okay if withijn their pH tolerance, but the acclimation is key - especially w/ Otos.

Padl,

Maybe you could help clarify something for me here. Obviously most fish are quite adaptable, but in regards to pH specifically how important is this with respect to breeding? Or more specifically for spawning and later on in egg/fry development?

A loaded question I know, but I always wondered this. Discus come immediately to mind.

Thanks!

jlennon

AC Members
Mar 21, 2007
New Jersey
www.myspace.com
My pH is also 8.0 and I have tetras in my tank. See my sig for the fish i have in my tank. I also have a high buffer (240ppm) and high akalinity (250ppm).

The fish I have right now all seem to do well in the water. They are all active and their colors are bright and full. I think pretty much any fish can adjust to the water conditions that they are in. At least all the fish I have in my tank have adjusted fully to the given water conditions.

I have had some fish die recently, but I'm accounting that to the fact I found out on here that my tank was overstocked. I'm a beginner aquarist so I've learned from my mistakes. I now am changing my water weekly due to the overcrowding, and at around 40% - 50% as suggested on here and everything has been fine since.

As for the otos comment, i have an otto that I've had for over two years in my current tank and have had no problems with him!

bluekrissyspike

bwa-hahahahaha!!!!!
Mar 24, 2007
weather loaches are fun, and hearty. they breath oxygen from the air so ph and stuff doesn't really bug them. i wouldn't try any other kinds of loaches though, most are fairly fragile. a weather loach acts crazy though and doesn't look or seem like any other fish. and unlike other loaches they are very visible and live happily with almost any other species of fish without having a whole group of them. they also help keep the tank clean, and zoom around moving kindof like a snake. I think one would be happy in your tank and although loaches aren't uncommon, people who aren't into the hobby find the dojo to be somewhat exotic as it is a very unusual creature

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Yeah, Weather loaches could be a better choice for your tank than Otos.
You could also put in a nice school of White cloud minnows. They would do well in your water and with the loaches and you could save on heating bills as they both thrive in cooler water (70 degrees of so would work great).

Mar 29, 2007
if you really want otos look for tank bred ones, not impossible to find but will be a lot more expensive. I got my otos tank bred but they died, maybe i just got a bad batch.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store