What fish to add with SafeStart?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Was SafeStart effective for you?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Never tried it

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

irmuddled

Powered by coffee
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
slowcountry.tumblr.com
Real Name
Maria
I tried BioSpira years ago and it worked so I'd like to use SafeStart.

I bought a used 36 gallon bowfront. I researched and it seems like SafeStart is for cycling with fish, so I'd like to buy a few hardy fish to do the cycle with... What fish do you recommend I buy, and how many?

Also, could I add a pair of angels in this tank eventually? If so, does anybody have recommendations of compatible hardy fish with an angelfish for this tank?

irmuddled

Powered by coffee
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
slowcountry.tumblr.com
Real Name
Maria
They wouldn't nip Angelfish fins? I remember they were sort of hyper

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I would try with ammonia. Safer and less stressful for fish.

Reactions: irishspy

irmuddled

Powered by coffee
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
slowcountry.tumblr.com
Real Name
Maria
Well... I got SafeStart before reading these posts and now I'm nervous about adding any fish at all. I tested the water on the tank without adding anything to it with my API test kit came out with really weird results...

IMG_2046.JPG
The PH was the highest I've seen... probably at around 8.8
Ammonia was not even green, it turned into a dark blue. I don't even know how to measure it. Over 10 ppm?
0 nitrities
Nitrates between 5 and 10 ppm

What does this mean? Is it possible it had some bacteria from the gravel still? It did come with a used filter also but I used new biobags... the filter is sort of weak so I'm thinking about replacing it also.

Should I still use the SafeStart, or is it too dangerous to add any fish right now? If I leave it on its own will it cycle itself because of the amount of ammonia in it? Maybe adding the SafeStart without fish would also work?

What about that massively high PH? What fish are compatible with PH that high?

Last edited:

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have never seen an Ammonia reading like that. What is in the tank now?

Reactions: Wild West

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Whoa.... Ok, don't add any safestart or fish. Ammonia can effect pH so don't think that is your normal pH. Why is the ammonia so high? Are you adding ammonia? Test your tap water for a comparison, ammonia test could be bad. What is in the tank now? When was it setup?

Reactions: Wild West

irmuddled