What fish to add with SafeStart?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Was SafeStart effective for you?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Never tried it

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I think that is oddly high for tap water, test might be bad. pH is off the charts too though, test the ph of the tap.

irmuddled

Powered by coffee
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
slowcountry.tumblr.com
Real Name
Maria
I retested everything in the tank... and the readings went down for most:
PH at 8.2
Ammonia at 1-2
Nitrites at 0
Nitrates at 10-20

When I originally posted the test results I had just filled up the tank with water completely and the debri from the dirty gravel was all over the place. Is it possible this tank is close to cycled already? o_O It did had water when I bought it, but no fish... I'll retest the tank water again tomorrow.

The tap water readings are:
PH at 7.8
Ammonia at 1-2
Nitrites at 0
Nitrates at 0

Belltrain

AC Members
Nov 11, 2010
Loma Linda, CA
Real Name
Austin
It's possible that the cycle could be faster because of the seeded material you put in, but I believe your going to still have to go through a cycle.

irmuddled

Powered by coffee
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
slowcountry.tumblr.com
Real Name
Maria
Tested the water again this morning, readings are:

Ph 8.2
Ammonia 1ppm
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 10~

Is it safe to add the SafeStart and a few hardy fish now?

fishguychris

AC Members
Nov 7, 2010
I would say add some hardy fish like minnows or danios , and some type of plant , helps a lot

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Got some weird water param readings there for sure. Not trying to be sarcastic, but make sure you're performing the tests correctly. The nitrate test is commonly done wrong. Even the 30sec shaking of bottle #2 can need to be done for a minute depending on how long the kit has been sitting around. Shaking the crap out of the completed nitrate test-tube, and then letting it set for 5min before reading is imperative as well.

Another nitrate anomaly is when using Seachem safe as your dechlorinator, when chloramine is being used in your tap water as opposed to chlorine. You can get an ammonia reading for that.

If you don't mind keeping zebra danios for your final stocking, I'd use them for a fish-in cycle. Just make sure to keep up on water changes so they don't suffer.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Your initial readings were very odd, don't know what happened there. But pH increase of 0.4 from tap to tank is perfectly normal, mine goes up from 7.6 to 8.2. Although still a high pH most hardy fish can adapt to it. But I do believe the higher the pH the more toxic ammonia is....anyone can confirm this?

Ammonia out of the tap is upsetting.
Another nitrate anomaly is when using Seachem safe as your dechlorinator, when chloramine is being used in your tap water as opposed to chlorine. You can get an ammonia reading for that.
Would chloramine show as ammonia straight from the tap also or only when used with seachem safe?

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
I have never seen test readings like your initial pic....well....ever. Hoping you get it resolved soon:)

irmuddled