What fish to add with SafeStart?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Was SafeStart effective for you?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Never tried it

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

irmuddled

Powered by coffee
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
slowcountry.tumblr.com
Real Name
Maria
Alright, these mornings readings are:

PH 8.0
Ammonia 0.5
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20-40

Nitrates are getting pretty high there 0_0 I read to not change the water for a week, but since I started off with nitrates already, when should I do a water change?

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
debri from the gravel was all over the place...
In my past, floating debris did not alter water testing too much. I might have removed some of the debris and til the cycle was complete and then add more slowly as the beneficial bacteria developed?

Last edited:

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Reactions: Wild West

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
Prime and SafeStart are incompatible???

I just changed my filter media and poured some SafeStart directly into the new media as part of my regular tank maintenance, to help replenish the bio process and bacteria lost when I removed the old filter media. I always use Prime to treat my tank water, and this combo was something recommended by a LFS. My test readings are showing 0 ammonia and nitrite, high nitrate (40 ppm), and a tank pH around 6.6 (I have 3 pieces of mopani wood in the tank). My tap pH is around 8.0.

irmuddled

Powered by coffee
Jan 4, 2009
San Diego, CA
slowcountry.tumblr.com
Real Name
Maria
I've read some people use it online, but there's a Q&A with a Tetra employee in Fishlore of a person asking about using products that bind ammonia (like prime) with SafeStart and this is is what they said:

Question: Will conditioners that detox ammonia effect SafeStart?
If so, how and why?

In regards to ammonia products, yes, they kill TSS. Any type, whether a
chloramines remover or detoxifier, etc, anything that says it locks up
ammonia or removes ammonia. Do not add TSS for 24 hours after using
such a product, and do not add such a product for at least 7 days after
using TSS. The bacteria is housed in a special stabilized solution of
ammonia, so if you remove/lock up the ammonia, you remove all of the
food the bacteria require to live.
Source:
http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-nitrogen-cycle/58116-q-tetra-tetra-safestart.html

I really don't know how true that is though. If anyone shares their experience with prime and safestart that would be neat since I have a whole bottle I'm waiting to use, and I much prefer that over the water conditioner I'm using right now.

Wild West

AC Members
Mar 6, 2015
Could you try using a different dechlorinator instead of prime and then the safestart plus? If the odd water test parameters are still there I might remove the debris, as beneficial bacteria live on substrate/filter media too.

Kannan Fodder

AC Members
Jun 2, 2014
Las Vegas/San Diego
Real Name
Michelle
When I set up my tank, I used SafeStart Plus and Prime, and added fish immediately. Had no issues, but I'll be the first to admit gambusia are notoriously hardy. My BNs didn't seem affected by anything either, but I did monitor the tank and kept up maintainence as it cycled.

Anyway, good reading material for future consideration. I have never encountered this info before, and the SafeStart/water conditioner combo is something I've heard recommended many times.

irmuddled