What gender is my discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Sexing discus is quite difficult at the best of times, and is often not achieved with any certainty until an adult pair is actually spawning.
In your case, to be entirely honest, I'm sorry to tell you that your discus do not appear to be in very good condition, the first one being football-shaped and seemingly stunted, and the second one being overly dark & not likely being in good condition as well. Definite signs of their having been kept in poor water quality & conditions. No way to tell their age when stunted, and certainly no way to determine their sex.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Sexing discus is quite difficult at the best of times, and is often not achieved with any certainty until an adult pair is actually spawning.
In your case, to be entirely honest, I'm sorry to tell you that your discus do not appear to be in very good condition, the first one being football-shaped and seemingly stunted, and the second one being overly dark & not likely being in good condition as well. Definite signs of their having been kept in poor water quality & conditions. No way to tell their age when stunted, and certainly no way to determine their sex.

Agree.

Mark

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Please know Clinton, that I take no pleasure in offending anyone, but when it comes to expensive discus, I believe that even though I know it hurts to be the receiver of bad news, it's best to be completely truthful so that discus-keepers may learn from their past mistakes, and seek to find out what appropriate measures they may take to be fully successful with discus-keeping in future.
I would be more than happy to direct you to suitable areas and information where you may learn to acquire and keep discus the proper way, and to be truly proud with all your efforts to do so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store