What happens if large tanks shatter?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by slipknottin
Yes they can. Acrylic isnt that hard of a material.
I never knew that, or thought they could... And, I just checked the calendar to make sure it's not April 1st.

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Well, they do make those neat little aquaria that plug in the wall and the lights come on and the fake fish "swim" around.

Stock up on some super-absorbent media (like they have for oil spills) and put it in a glass cabinet next to your tank. Hang a sign that says "In case of earthquake, break glass". Oh, scrap the sign idea, if your tank broke, the cabinet would too huh?;)

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
I kinda think you folks all missed one really obvious fact. If the earthquake was storng enough to do this type of damage, how much house is going to be left to worry about? Not living in an earthquake area I am not familure with them but I would think if it is bad enough to shatter your tank, your tank will be the least of your worries. Just a thought.

Heady

Cardinal Rule
Feb 22, 2003
Pacific Northwest
Visit site
DarkAngel thanks I have considered that too. But if there is an earthquake I would hope my fish tank would break before my house. ;)

I wonder if anyone else has considered putting a drain in their floor...

Luca Brazzi

AC Members
Oct 12, 2002
Visit site
Why not try a wooden tank with just a glass front? Then your chances of it completely breaking would be far less since there is way less glass. The only thing youd have to worry about is the front glass breaking or separating from the wood during an earthquake (tons of silicone could probably keep it from separating though).

Last edited:

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Darkangel
I kinda think you folks all missed one really obvious fact. If the earthquake was storng enough to do this type of damage, how much house is going to be left to worry about? Not living in an earthquake area I am not familure with them but I would think if it is bad enough to shatter your tank, your tank will be the least of your worries. Just a thought.
Can't say I know earthquake facts, but a reasonable guess would be, first pictures on walls may fall, books, etc. on shelves will fall, aquariums quite possibly would crack or break completely. Then the quake stops.... House may very well be structurally sound.
Who knows? I'm in Florida and houses may sink (sinkholes), but not rock back and forth... :D

Last edited:

beviking

Senior Member, Sophomoric Attitude
Feb 16, 2002
Syracuse, NY
Who missed the point???? To hell with the house, we're worried about the FISH TANK!!!!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store