What is carbon used for?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dom418

AC Members
Aug 21, 2002
IL.
community.webshots.com
Do you think it is better to double up on the sponges on my aquaclear filters, or use carbon and only 1 sponge? Which combo is best? I have heard carbon only eliminates odor

Tyler718

AC Members
Feb 17, 2002
Stafford, Va
Real Name
David
With my AC I use two sponges. Also, I only use carbon to remove meds if I use any. It can used remove odor, but IMHO if you are doing your maintenance regularly on your tank you won't have the need for the carbon.

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
carbon is used to seperate you from your $$$. :D

and a bunch of other reasons already mentioned. ;)

i, personally, have not specifically used it in months. my emps come with it included in the cartridges but i rinse and reuse these constantly. ditto for the whisper type filter bags, if it comes with the carbon i use it, but after that i just rinse and reuse the filters until i can do it no longer. i do have a big, brand new jar of it i use for a paperweight tho. :D

it can be used for eliminating oders and some organics i believe, but regular maintenance works better and costs alot less.

JacksontoKobe

AC Members
Feb 18, 2002
Belgrade, MT
The one thing I noticed carbon does is clear water fast after a water change and real good vaccuming where all kinds of crap is floating around in the water from shaking up your gravel with the vacuum. It definitley makes your water look polished. But I would say 2 sponges is the way to go fore more biological activity.

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
Lol.....I asked the filter question once.......filter cartridges vs sponges. Of course carbon then became a question. Went on for days. I switched to sponges. Carbon...well......I've been told it's good to use to remove medications. Some believe in it....some don't. I say do what works for you. And shhhhhhh.....don't mention that "C" word. ;)

wetmanNY

AC Members
Carbon is not the Immaculate Conception. You don't have to "believe" in it or not. It's sensible anyway to follow the link-- if you have any curiosity about carbon-- educate yourself and procede from there..

I don't "believe" in carbon, I use it for what it actually does. No more. No less.

..Once you have a computer, ignorance is a choice..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store