What is causing white bump on Platy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

newaquariumguy

AC Members
Feb 3, 2018
Bow Island Alberta Canada
Real Name
Glen
I have a 67 gallon tank, running a Fluval 306 and a Fluval 305 canister filter. My tank has been running for about 3 months and I thought it was cycled. Although I added fish over a period of time, I must have done it too quickly and "set back" or "stalled" the cycle. I am not convinced it has cycled yet as every 4 or 5 days the ammonia shows a little high. I use the API testing kit. Although comparing test colors is a little tuff sometimes, the ammonia has always been between 0 and .25. Nitrites are always 0 and nitrates at 5. Ph was always about 7.2 or 7.4 but have been slowly climbing and are now at 8 or 8.2. I was doing 20 to 25% wc every day to control ammonia but now have backed off to about every 3 days. I have a Fluval E300 heater (which I am not impressed with) and try to keep the temp at 26 degrees. I say try because the heater will not keep it steady, but it only varies by .5 to 1 degree, and that is as high as it will put the temperature. I have 1 red tail shark, 4 bronze cory's, 7 Tiger Barbs, and 8 assorted Platies. (had 10). I have a small floating plant (not sure what kind it is), and recently added 2 small bunches of hornwort Before adding hornwort to tank I rinsed it, washed it in a mild bleach mixture, rinsed it, put it in dechlorinated water for a few hours, changed the water and let it sit overnight.

3 days ago I noticed 2 Red Mickey Mouse Platies (one male and one female) had a white spot/bump. Both were on their left side, lower than the fin, but near the top of the fish. They were acting "lazy" and would not eat--hiding in the hornwort or at the bottom, by themselves. I asked this question on another forum and have not received a reply yet, but both fish have died. As sad as that is, I am wondering if it will effect the other fish--and what do I do? The others are acting perfectly fine. I added pictures on the other forum but have not found a place to do it here?

Sorry this is so long but I thought it might help if people have somewhat of a history of my knowledge and the tank. I will appreciate any advice. Thank you.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Welcome! Sorry for your issues. Good for you for having a liquid test kit! Sounds like a nice setup with some great equipment.

Were there any new fish additions to the tank that could have introduced a parasite or disease? This is a risk we take any time we add something new to our tanks. Quarantining new fish for 4-8 weeks in their own isolated tank can help reduce the chance of issues, but even after that issues can happen.

I wouldn't sweat the ~0.25ppm ammonia thing given some water supplies use chloramine as opposed to chlorine for a disinfectant. Chloramine can show as ammonia in your tank water when you measure it with the API kit. I'd suggest using a dechlor product like Seachem prime or safe since these will temporarily detoxify ammonia until it can be broken down by your tank's cycle.

newaquariumguy

AC Members
Feb 3, 2018
Real Name
Glen
By checking my records, I have learned that the 2 Platies that died were the last additions in the tank, and they were bought less than 2 weeks ago. The rest of the fish are doing fine, so I guess there is the chance that these 2 were not totally healthy when I got them.

I also have a 55 gallon tank and did not realize the importance of a quarantine tank but now really don't have room for another aquarium.

I am currently using API Stress Coat as a water conditioner but will try Prime.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
That would be my guess, that the platys had some issue(s) before you bought them. From what I've experienced with newly bought livestock is, if they make it past that first week or two, you're usually good to go.

Nothing wrong with the API product you're using. I just don't see in it's specs that it detoxes ammonia. Nice thing with Seachem Prime or Safe (granular form), is a little goes a LONG way. I usually buy it by mail-order. Less cost.

newaquariumguy

AC Members
Feb 3, 2018
Real Name
Glen
Prime is on my list for the next time I am in the city.

Are you familiar with plants--which would be good for a beginner? I have done a lot of research on the internet but it seems people are saying whatever they have to, in order to sell it. I would think personal experience is a better source of info.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good beginner plants are java fern and anubia. They don't require a ton of light and can be tied off with thread to something to keep them put while they grow. They do grow very slowly, which can be discouraging to beginners.

Award Aquarium

AC Members
Mar 18, 2018
I also recommend Amazon sword. They grow very fast and are easy to take care of. Also I always QT with meds, it takes about 1 week.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store