What is Going on!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RTR

AC Members
Oct 5, 1998
Braddock Heights, MD
Agree w/both Tom & Richer - good advice.

But some ammonia tests read positive results when the ammonia from choramine has been inactivated. Be sure that your test kit uses salicylate, not Nessler's reagent, or you will get flase positives.

Last edited:

DaveTMD

AC Members
Dec 26, 2002
Baltimore, MD.
Visit site
Thanks Again to all, Great advice!!

I just got off the phone with the Lab that takes care of the testing of the Local water supply for the Baltimore area. Chlorine is used but Chloramine is NOT. They did say that trace amounts of Ammonia could be present in areas where new Pipe was being installed or where Repairs to existing pipes are being made due to some sleaving process used. I don't know if this is the case I will test the tap water tonight. I am using a Tetra test kit I will have to look into the reagent used.

Question.. What if anything does SAE's stand for or is it a proper name?

I am already looking into a different dechlorinator thanks for the info.

Dave T

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
I use and like Amquel. I'm a relative newb and never used anything else, so add one grain of salt.

SAE is the common abbreviation for Siamese Algae Eater, a much sought after fish known for, um… eating algae. Its also called a Siamese Flying Fox (I've seen it listed in books that way, in real life everyone seems to call it an SAE). There are a number of similar looking fish. This site has a nice run down on them (scroll down) as does this one. The blackline extending all the way through the tail seems to be best distinguishing detail. Cool fish, grows to about 5 or 6 inches.

DaveTMD

AC Members
Dec 26, 2002
Baltimore, MD.
Visit site
Hi all,

Did some testing last night. The ammonia levels are on the increase in my tank. I have a small hex tank that I maintain with a 2 gallon container that has the same tap water and used stress coat to de-chlorinate. I tested this water as it has been siting at room temp since sunday. (NO AMMONIA)

It must be the (Driftwood or Plants) in the 36 gallon tank causing the ammonia to rise as previously stated.

Water change 30%

Slight reduction in NH3/NH4+ but not much. Do I need to make a bigger water change?

wetmanNY

AC Members
A thought about plants: if plants aren't actively growing, if they are softening up, they are releasing ammonia, produced by the microbes that are breaking them down. Here's one possible source for the ammonia.

Are you going to add filter goop and gravel scrapings from a clean well-matured tank?

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Hey Dave,

You got some good responses from some of the most knowledgeable and conscientious posters here. I'm hoping you can put it to good use.

Oh, and by the way, welcome to Aquaria Central, home of the fastest responses on the internet :)

Val

DaveTMD

AC Members
Dec 26, 2002
Baltimore, MD.
Visit site
WetmanNY

I have growth in all of my plants. I have had to prune the crypts some Leaves turning yellow then to mush. I'm thinking your on target with the ammonia coming from them.

Will the 3ppm of NH3/NH4 be enough to cycle the tank or should I add some ammonia using the fishless cycle procedure?

I guess since I did not add fish or ammonia to the tank I'm not sure what to do next. Should I just play this out as if I had put Fish in or ammonia. Waiting for the NH3/NO2/NO3 cycle to take place?

Also I don't have anywhere to get Filter material or gravel from a well known tank unless I go to the lfs and run the risk of adding something I don't need.

Thanks again
Dave T

carpguy

lots of small fish
Jul 15, 2002
nyc
Visit site
The plants qualify as "objects from an established tank"-- they should have brought some bacteria in with them. Seed material is helpful but not necessary.

I wouldn't add fish until the ammonia is lower. Healthy plants ought to take care of that. What setup do you have for the plants? They need heavier lighting than FO (fish only) tanks. They also come with their own additional pile of chemistry lessons. This thread is a good place to start. The very friendly folks in the Plant forum can help you with any details, CO2, ferts, etc.

I'd concentrate on the plants for the first little bit, and everything should fall into place from there.

DaveTMD

AC Members
Dec 26, 2002
Baltimore, MD.
Visit site
Carpguy,

100% Flourite substrate
1 watt per gallon lighting (40 watt fixture 36 gallon tank)

I'm looking to add another single slim fixture behind the existing to boost light to 1.6 watts per gallon.

Dave T

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store