What is Oscars tank mate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
SilverDollars are ideal. I keep 6 with an Oscar and they are too fast for it. He also has a common pleco (P.Disjunctivus) for tankmates. Also you can try Bala Shark, Clown Loach, Croaking Gourami, Firemouth Cichlid, Jack Dempsey, Pleco (Common), Sunshine Pleco L014, Texas Cichlid, Tinfoil Barb. Ive had bala sharks in with it and there is no fighting because the Bala is fast and high-strung (However, they should be kept in groups of 6).

No matter how you set it up, you're going to need a good sized tank as the ones I listed are not small fish. You can also forget about decorating the tank. Decor or plants will be destroyed.

spencerguy1

I dont do Tuesdays.
Jul 19, 2010
Illinois
Real Name
Spencer
+1^

But you could always try an african cichlids stile decoration.

Be careful with your stock, anything a third the oscars size is toast.

user_name

Senior_Member
May 23, 2010
Mass
Real Name
Cam
It depends on the size tank, you're going to need 100+ (125 is nice) to keep an Oscar with other fish IMO. A 75 is fine for a lone Oscar. Excuseme listed some great tank mates, I've heard that a school of larger eartheaters (Jurupari) can work too.

countrychick

Save a horse, ride a cowboy
Feb 2, 2009
somewhere in the sticks
I have not had luck adding tankmates to my oscar tanks, they insist on eating any "friends" I give them. I have had to remove the extra intakes and cover the heater with pvc pipe drilled with holes in my one oscar take because of her constant destruction. Good luck with your trying to find a tankmate, just dont be mad if you go to turn the lights on and all you see is a gut stuffed oscar lol.

fshfanatic

AC Members
Apr 7, 2006
Arizona
Real Name
Mike

BettaFishMommy

finkids make me happy :-)
Mar 17, 2008
Deadmonton, lol, Canada
Real Name
Sherry N.
my oscar lives with a paratliapia polleni (black diamond cichlid), the two have grown up together in the same tank and are living peacefully with each other now for about 2.5 years. IMO having large cichlids grow up together makes things easier, as you are not introducing one big fish to a tank that already houses a big fish that has figured that tank is his territory.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store