What Is The Best Way To Set Up A Sump Filter System?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
Just as a note, stores generally do not carry fish in an aquarium that best suits it's (long term) needs.

They prefer easy for shoppers to see, and easy to catch.
true then what do you think about 20 gallon tank discus breeder?

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I am honestly not interested in what is used to house cichlids.

But breeders will use tanks conducive to breeding, and frequently only temporary, on one hand they will keep the parents close to each other on another the small volume facilitates frequent and large water changes necessary.

Ultimately I am not that interested in how anybody but myself keeps their animals; I'm just trying to offer advice, take it or leave it.

lampro

AC Members
Jun 24, 2019
I am honestly not interested in what is used to house cichlids.

But breeders will use tanks conducive to breeding, and frequently only temporary, on one hand they will keep the parents close to each other on another the small volume facilitates frequent and large water changes necessary.

Ultimately I am not that interested in how anybody but myself keeps their animals; I'm just trying to offer advice, take it or leave it.
Sorry i actually tried to delete my thread reply but i realize there is no delete button for thread reply. Yea i should definitely get a bigger tank if i ever want to keep arrowana for sure.

I watched this guy on youtube
for hang on back overflow sump system. It is the simplest tutorial i seen so far. If you have know any simple installation one for beginner let me know please.

Arthur11

AC Members
Jul 13, 2021
When it comes to choices of aquarium sump, you can buy one that is already pre-built. You may also use a spare tank or even a large plastic container (if it is the right size) and add the baffles and the other necessary components into it. Whichever path you choose, you need to make sure that the sump will do what it is supposed to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

jake72

AC Members
Jan 28, 2019
You can build one pretty cheaply with a 20 long or 40B similar to this:
or

The foam has the advantage of being great for both mechanical and bio-filtering.
--
The way you make it 'fault tolerance' is that the water level in the sump is such that if the entire sump is pumped into your tank your tank does not overflow (using too large a sump is a disadvantage here but your pump doesn't have to be on the bottom so things are adjustable); from the tank side you have holes in in the siphon so if the tank level drops too much the siphon is broken and water stops flowing into the sump. You want a bit of tolerance on both side so things are easy to tune.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store