WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY TO PRIME RENA XP 4 FILTER ???

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

prolude006

Senior Member-Wheres My Discount!
Oct 3, 2008
Central Vermont
ok woah making this too complicated.

step 1 handle up
step 2 clean filter
step 3 put filter back together
step 4 put handle part back in the top of canister with handle up still.
step 5 flip handle down wait for water to fill canister
step 5 plug in filter enjoy the show. (air will come out for a min or so, see bottom for tips)

now here is the important part, make sure the water level in your tank is above both the intake (I hope this is) and the spray bar as well (not totally necessary but it helps with air problems initially) then flip the handle down and the tank will drain water into the filter until its full (takes a min or so). When the canister is full you can turn it on and your done. I like to tilt my canister a bit to the side so the trapped air escapes from under the baskets before I plug it in.

The only time the cap is removed is to fill the hoses with some water when they are completely empty. This is to create a suction to start the process.

CBWMN

AC Members
Oct 11, 2007
El Paso, TX
I have a XP3.

The colors of the piece with the handle matches the parts that go in the tank. This should stop you from getting them reversed. Once you are sure you have the correct hose put in place, then push the handle down.

John, this is true, I wasn’t paying attention to the colors.

I always put plenty of water back into my canister before trying to start it. How much water you have to put in the canister will determine how long it will take to get it going again.
Look on page 17 in the User Guide.
A rep at Planetrena.com told me that there is less chance of misalignment when you replace media and baskets ,
then buckle the canister top.
Then reinstall.

With the filter still unplugged, keep adding water until you can see it in the hose. You will also see bubbles of air come out of your output.

Once you see the water, cap it off and plug it in.

So handle down, fill until full. Your water was just filling your canister.
This is only if the hoses don’t have water in them,
like when you first install the canister, or
after you’ve replaced the hoses.
Again, pages 16 and 17 explain these procedures.
If anyone has lost their users manual,
I can scan and send those pages along.
They are for Rena AP models XP1 through XP4.

Regards,
Charles

ChrisK

AC Members
Aug 10, 2008
Sulphur, LA
Do I need to keep the filler cap ON and not take it off when putting the fiter back under the tank ? Am I causing the loss of water & prime that is IN the hoses when i first disconnect my filter by removing this cap ? When i push the lever down, a little water starts to trickle into the filter but stops. I just want to find out WHAT I am doing wrong after cleaning & reinstalling the filter.
Yes by opening the filler cap you are allowing air into the system, causing to lose its prime. leave the cap on during maintenance. The only reason to open the cap is if the filter doesn't prime after you follow the instrutions in my original post. I which case you add water to the filler to make it prime.

prolude006

Senior Member-Wheres My Discount!
Oct 3, 2008
Central Vermont
remember canister filters are pressurized systems. If you take the cap off or have a leak you could see the problem it would cause.

bert

ENJOYING THE HIGH DESERT OF NEVADA
Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
Thanks everyone !!! I thought that it had to be primed EACH time the filter was serviced. Now I learned something. I can't begin to tell you the frustration of losing the prime, At that point, I just started over but just could not get the hose to fill with water, Where it was all going i have no idea,perhaps running down the inlet tube. I was taking water out of the tank with a cup and pouring it in the hose with the closed off lever & hoses in the up position and the tank water level was full and started to go down so the water was not going back in the tank, filter, or hose and not on the floor. Thanks for all the help, from now on I will not touch the siphon cap.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:cool: This is actually one of the easier canister filters to maintain. As most have said above, you're working way too much. The only time you need to 'screw' w/ the cap (ya like that?) is when you first set-up or if for some reason you break siphon. It's not difficult but you must follow steps in order. I alternate cleaning my XP3 & XP4 every 5/6 wks. & have done so faithfully for a number of years. Your schedule might vary but the routine can be the same.
1} Filter is running. Unplug the filter & raise the lever connecting the quick disconnect valve to the pump housing. This locks off the flow to keep water in the hoses & maintain the siphon.
2} Remove & clean your 'can' -swish, swish, rinse, rinse ect. Now here is where some folks differ. If you're doing your W/C & vac now, you must refill your tank above both the intake & outlet (at least an inch or so depending on the tank size) so you continue to maintain siphon.
I choose to do the W/C & vac after the re-start so I can get most of any stray particles that might result.
3} With both intake & outlet submerged, re-attach the Q/D valve & lower the lever (slowly). Water should flow back into the 'can'.
4} Allow the 'can' to fill completely till it stops. (Personal tip, tilt the can about 45 degrees side to side or frt to bck to allow trapped air to escape).
5} Plug in power cord, gurgle, gurgle & water should flow. If for some reason you have no flow (relax, sh-- happens), simply unplug the power cord, (now you get to 'screw') remove the inlet cap & fill the hose till it's full of water. Replace the cap & then plug in the power cord. You should be flowing. After you've done it a few hundred times or so you won't even think about it. :dance: "T"

bert

ENJOYING THE HIGH DESERT OF NEVADA
Nov 2, 2003
NEVADA
www.truckflix.com
Thanks ! I did the W/C and vac the before and there is an air situation that was causing the problem because i would lift the lever once i started having trouble and there would be a loud swoosh of air. I see now that i was opening the cap when i didn't need to and losing prime. I would start over and found it impossible to fill the hose with water, where it was going who knows ? mabe running through the inlet pipe & back into the tank. Now i have learned from all of you to keep the cap on. I really appreciate all of your help !!!
Bert

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store