what is the difference between zoathid and button polyps??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

6speedchevelle

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
Aloha, Oregon
what is the difference between zoathid and button polyps??
they look very similar.

I just bought a nice colony of some, but not sure which one it is. :headshake2:

also, how long does it take for them to open?

thanks!

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
They are very similar and are very closely related (by current taxonomy). Unfortunately, more precise relationship has not been completely established, because the zoanthideans are being rearranged and reclassified. Right now, the two only differ in genus, with "button polyps" collectively in Palythoa, whereas what everyone refers to as a zoanthid (actually, all are zoanthids, in the family zoanthidae) is in the genus Zoanthus. But like I said, their classification is an enigma at the moment, so we shall see.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
Many people collectively call zoas and palys "button polyps." It's one of those common names that applies to multitude of critters.

6speedchevelle

AC Members
Sep 12, 2007
Aloha, Oregon
thats what I was thinking....I work in the auto industry and there is always three or four names for each part of the car....

so how long does it take for them to open when transfered to a new tank?

do they close up every night?

Max

It's me
Jan 26, 2004
Mars
Visit site
They'll usually pout for a day or two after you introduce them before they fully open. The lenght of time depends on you method of introduction etc.

soccerkidbs

How do you like me now?
Mar 9, 2007
Medford
i know mine get pissed if i touch them and wont open for a day or so after. some of mine close at night but my orange ones stay open... they are weird i think.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store