What is this worm

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

WreckItRuan

AC Members
Jan 3, 2018
Hi
I have a rcs tank with about 100 shrimplings and 12 adults and while I was counting my shrimplings I saw this worm next to my one baby shrimp on my sponge filter and I am panicking now and wondering if it is harmfull I als just had some planaria in my tank and got rid of them a couple of days ago
20180128_200755.jpg
Please help and thanks

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Can you tell if it's segmented?

It looks like a blood worm, which isn't really that likely to just show up on a plants. What else it is in the tank? Most planted tanks support a pretty wide variety of harmless fauna, so unless you see it attacking a shrimp, or in mass numbers, I'd ignore it.

WreckItRuan

AC Members
Jan 3, 2018
Can you tell if it's segmented?

It looks like a blood worm, which isn't really that likely to just show up on a plants. What else it is in the tank? Most planted tanks support a pretty wide variety of harmless fauna, so unless you see it attacking a shrimp, or in mass numbers, I'd ignore it.
It has segmants and i only have a couple of plants in the tank but they where in there for months befoe i saw this worm

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Most worms stay in the substrate, where you aren't likely to see them. I wouldn't fret.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I agree. Doesn't look like the typical suspects we worry about and there are tons of harmless fauna in our tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store