What is your favorite DIY CO2 recipe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

magakitty

Normal people scare me
Apr 5, 2007
Palm Springs
mysobrietyspace.ning.com
What recipe do you use? What do you like about it and how did you discover it?

The reason I ask is that I have seen soooo many different recipes and am a little confused as to which one is best. I have gotten a lot of valuable information from these boards, so I value your opinion.

thanks in advance

mellowvision

Seafood Lover
May 17, 2007
Brooklyn NY
www.mellowvision.com
Real Name
Bill Brissette
it's so hit or miss. I made jello twice, the first time it was great and long lasting. the second time... it flubbered. I've been so frustrated with the DIY co2 lately that I am considering cutting it off entirely and going low light...

gotta give them credit, the hagen packets really seem to be the most stable over time... I've done a few trials and had really good results with them.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
i use 3/4 tsp yeast, 1.5c sugar, 1/4tsp baking soda(my water is very very soft) and water to the curve of the bottle... sitting it on top of the ballast vent for my lights provides enough heat to keep them going strong for well over a week.

Bkman

AC Members
Jan 8, 2007
Iowa City, Iowa
2 cups sugar, fill bottle 3/4ths of way with warm water(dunno if the water temp effects it or not, just what ive always done) 1/4 to 1 tsp yeast(less yeast = less co2 but longer duration, most yeast = more co2 for shorter time) i use a brand called redstar. and 1/4 tsp baking soda. after 3 or 4 days i give it a little shake to stir it up. normally lasts about 15 days.

geofied

Plant formerly known as Duckweed
Jan 22, 2007
Cleveland area, OH
I just posted some recipes yesterday in another thread about DIY mixes for Hagen systems. I have also not been able to match the longevity of the Hagen mix in the same volume.

The volume of the container of course makes a big difference. If your mix only lasts a week there is something wrong. I have not tried 2-liter bottles yet. After this latest battery of recipe longevity tests, I may give 2-liters a try, as they should last at least 1/3 longer than the 1-liter mixes.

My recipe for Hagen canister which is .5 liter (lasts 2.5-3 weeks for me):

-1/2 cup sugar
-1/3 tsp champagne yeast
-1/4 tsp baking soda
-water, 60-80 F, filled to just below curve of bottle, stir contents gently

My recipe for 1 liter bottle (lasts 4-6 weeks for me):

-1 cup sugar
-1/2 tsp champagne yeast
-1/3 tsp baking soda
-water, 60-80 F, filled to just below curve of bottle, stir contents gently

Also, some have said that leaving the sludge in the bottom after pouring out the liquid in a spent DIY mix would help things start faster and go longer. I have not found this to be of any real benefit in either respect thus far, however. Most of my mixes start bubbling within an hour or so.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store