What kind of krib is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
One of my shops got this guy in, and no one could tell me what he was since he wasn't on the list (along with some huge tadpoles), i knew it was a krib but that was it lol

Anyone recognize him?

720/1080p is available but it won't steam that high on default.
[video=youtube;l1mj-Z3ERWE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mj-Z3ERWE[/video]

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Looks like Pulcher to me. Their colors faded to nothingness when I first brought mine home

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
How long did it take for them to come back? It's been a few days now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a bit more time.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
How long did it take for them to come back? It's been a few days now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a bit more time.
I don't remember how long, but I remember being disappointed that they stayed drab for so long. Maybe like a week or 2... mine were in bad shape tho

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
It definitely looks like a P. pulcher. You can tell by the lateral band that extends the length of the whole body. The only other Kribensis with that body shape is the P. subocellatus, but its lateral band doesn't go past the caudal fin.

As far as their colors, it really varies a lot depending on genetics and its mood. My P. pulcher was really dark, but has lightened up lately while hes taking care of the fry. Heres a few pics for comparison. The first one is how he looked after the female first laid her eggs and the second is how he was earlier today while on fry duty(hes on top). Its hard to tell from the pics, but trust me he was a lot darker before lol

0925132009.jpg1003131354.jpg

1003131354.jpg 0925132009.jpg

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
Did you only get a male? If you have a female too (or are planning on getting one) then that will probably lead to him coloring up much faster.

He looks to be in really good shape otherwise.

Pinky210

AC Members
Sep 22, 2007
Awesome! thanks for the info guys =3

But yeah, I only have the male, they didn't have any other kribs, though I may call around and see if I can find a lady friend for him, I just haven't decided on that yet.

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
A female will definitely make him color up more. Just be prepared to either take care of or cull some fry because these guys pair up easily and mate like rabbits. Its a cool experience but can take a lot of work to do it correctly. Its not as hard as it was with GBR's or Apistos, but youll still need to do daily waterchanges and multiple feedings a day with live BBS and first bites. Kribs are great parents though so as long as you do regular feedings and keep up with the wc's youll probably have several Kribs survive to adulthood without any major work. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
Vinegar eels are also great baby food

sCeRaXn

AC Members
May 29, 2009
Yea I really need to get another starter culture for them. I used them a lot when I was breeding GBR's years back but I got out of it for a while so I need to start all over. Id also like to get another microworm culture going. I like to give my fish a varied diet. You can never go wrong with BBS and first bites though. lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store