What kind of Pleco is this guy?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

YukiMoeck

Registered Member
Feb 27, 2017
Hi, I got him at Feeders Supply. Not exactly sure what he is... can anybody identify from pictures? He is supposed to be same kind with the brown one in the last picture, but they do not have same shape of mouth......please help. Thanks!

IMG_2845.JPG

IMG_2844.JPG

IMG_2843.JPG

IMG_2846.JPG

YukiMoeck

Registered Member
Feb 27, 2017
I don't know but he sure is pretty! The last 1 looks like a bristle nose, the other maybe a pecoltia? I look at planetcatfish for those mystery types, maybe post there?
Thank you . I went to look at and tried to post on planet catfish...but wasn't quite clear how to post pictures there. Thanks for commenting!!

Frank Castle

AC Members
Feb 9, 2017
I don't know but he sure is pretty! The last 1 looks like a bristle nose, the other maybe a pecoltia? I look at planetcatfish for those mystery types, maybe post there?
definitely agree about the last one being a Bristlenose/Bushynose

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It's the yellow spots & less heavy spotting that's confusing me, Narwhal. I know there's a lot of variation on some plecs & locations...& who can trust the internet images?

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Based on the size and head shape it's a Hypancistrus. The relatively large spots mean there are three possibilities. L201, Hypancistrus contradens, or Hypancistrus inspector.

Hypancistrus inspector has a distinctive black edge to the dorsal fin. Not seen in the photos here so that can be ruled out.

Hypancistrus contradens and L201 are practically identical (they may even be the same species). Nearly impossible to tell apart unless they are side by side. But real H. contradens are actually quite rare in the hobby as they are not collected or spawned in significant numbers. L201 are imported very regularly. This makes them more likely to be the correct ID.

As far as the yellow vs. white spots that's not unusual and the same fish may have different colored spots throughout it's lifetime.

Andy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store