What kind of shrimp is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kaurushin

Kaoru
Apr 30, 2010
A very hot place @___@!
It's body looks like that of the cherry shrimp but its white. I dont think they are all dying but I cant be sure. I have heard of shrimp called snowball shrimp but I may be wrong. Asking the shop wouldnt help either since they sold them to me as ghost shrimp but obviously they arent :p Hopefully this picture will help. I cleared them out and usually they would give me a cheaper price but they found it strange as to why I am picking certain ones out and that cocky boy was working so he scoffed at me and kept calling me a smart *** for picking certain ones out. How rude haha, but yeah anyways, any help is fully appreciated. I will try to get a better picture in the mean time lol

napsterninja

AC Members
Sep 19, 2010
yup, those are snowball ones. I had the same experience getting white clouds. I buy them as feeders. Just by chance they had some long fins in there too! Good luck with the shrimps. Just don't mix them with your cherry reds if you have them.

kaurushin

Kaoru
Apr 30, 2010
A very hot place @___@!
Umm, so major confusion now. I put them in my tank after setting up a divider in the tank to separate them but it seems that some of those "snowball" shrimp are turning pink in the shell, not body, and now my mind is being totally blown because some are starting to turn red red, like they are starting to look like Cherry shrimp even more now and I am terribly confuse :/

kaurushin

Kaoru
Apr 30, 2010
A very hot place @___@!
And this may be irrelevant but it struck me as strange. Almost all but one of the shrimp I picked seemed to be male, the rest were all females or from what I can tell. I see Cherry shrimp often and can tell from female and male; in these shrimp that I got, however, I cant. All of them seem to have that belly that female cherries have. I don't know if it has anything to do with the species it is or if by some coincidence all of the shrimp in the ghost shrimp tank(mixed with other ghosts) just all happened to be female. Maybe they were unwanted females and the person who sold the ghost shrimp to the store just threw them in? I dont know, just some theories :)

jackiomy

Lover of Oddballs
Jul 6, 2008
San Diego, CA
Real Name
Jacki Wilson
Msjinkzd would know. When you get shrimp they are almost always pale from stress. Those kinda look like amanos except for the colors. They don't look like cherries either. This link has a lot of pictures. Just scroll over the names on the left.
http://www.planetinverts.com/Amano Shrimp.html

Last edited:

kaurushin

Kaoru
Apr 30, 2010
A very hot place @___@!
@jackiomy, they kinda do, but my amanos are bigger and have those silly side spots XD These shrimp are small so I'm pretty sure they are dwarf shrimp. It could be the stress but they just seem so strange. Some have grey eyes instead of pure black, is that normal?
@homedog98, Do those even exist XD Their bodies are kinda milky like snowballs but they have a white stripe and it splits a little near the end kinda like the bee ones with tannish tips. Parts of them look a little like the wild ones but only the tail fan part . ~.

TheFishBoss97

AC Members
Feb 12, 2011
San Jose, CA
Real Name
Ritap
Seem to me to be amanos or snowballs or wilds

Wilds can change color due to various reasons

Probably not amanos bc amanoshave a bamboo colored stripe down the middle and r huge

Snowballs maybe, but I thought those had sprinkled like dots over their body

Check out

Theshrimpfarm.com

kaurushin

Kaoru
Apr 30, 2010
A very hot place @___@!
When I saw them in the ghost shrimp tank I swore they were snowballs so I got them but the only reason as to why I can't be sure now is that most pictures of snowballs I see are really pure white and mine aren't. That and I've never had snowballs before so its hard for me to just say, they're white so that makes them snowballs, you know. But for sure they arent amanos because my amanos look way different and are, like you said, huge compared to these guys. From what I know though, snowballs dont have spots, but once again, never had them so can't be sure XD They look like this today. White body with tannish tips :3

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store