What kind of turtle is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcnealmill

AC Members
May 3, 2017
My daughter went to the flea market in Orlando and came home with Turt, our new family member. We don't know what kind of Turtle he is. We don't know exactly how to care for him but I want to know everything about him to make him as comfortable as possible. He's the cutest thing. I know from research that turtles are not to be held, they don't know a thing about cuddling even though it may seem so. (Turt always looks like he wants someone to hold him but we won't do it.) No one else will handle him but me. I clean his little cage out daily until we can get a bigger aquarium for him. I just want to know how to care for him/her. IMAG0763(1).jpg IMAG0765(1).jpg IMAG0766(1).jpg IMAG0767.jpg IMAG0768.jpg IMAG0763(1).jpg IMAG0765(1).jpg IMAG0766(1).jpg IMAG0767.jpg IMAG0768.jpg IMAG0763(1).jpg IMAG0765(1).jpg IMAG0766(1).jpg IMAG0767.jpg IMAG0768.jpg IMAG0763(1).jpg IMAG0765(1).jpg IMAG0766(1).jpg IMAG0767.jpg IMAG0768.jpg

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
No experience with turtles but I can tell you he needs a dry basking area because all but fully aquatic turtles need them as far as I know. That is how he regulates his body temp.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
First off...please discourage anyone from buying these animals from non-pet stores. The turtle was more likely illegally taken from the wild. http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/managed/freshwater-turtles/

It's probably a yellow belly slider, or a hydrid of a yellow belly and a red ear given this is Florida. Adult size is 9-13 inches for either gender (females get bigger). It DEFINITELY needs to be able to get completely out of the water. Make sure to give him UVB light, as it's critical for shell development. There are lots of websites that provide detailed care, but please understand, this is an animal that lives 30-40 YEARS, and is eventually going to need at least a 75 gallon tank.

mcnealmill

AC Members
May 3, 2017
Thanks and I know about flea markets selling turtles illegally. I've done my research. The sellers had licenses to sell. My daughter was on vacation for graduation and left all the paperwork for him in Orlando. I just really wanted to know what type of turtle he was so I could get him what he needs. Thanks guys.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You did your research but you didn't know what kind of turtle it is?

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
There is no way that seller's license was legal. Its against federal law to sell turtles under four inches unless it is an educational purpose, i.e. selling them to a school.

The turtle needs a filter, a heater (water 68-76 F), a dry basking spot with temp about 80 and a UVB (the 5.0 one for tropical animals) bulb, he needs a calcium rich diet but also one that includes a bit of plant matter. He'll need a tank that is 4 ft x 2 ft at bare minimum.

mcnealmill

AC Members
May 3, 2017
You did your research but you didn't know what kind of turtle it is?

Yes, OrionGirl, I did do my research on having turtles as pets. I did my research on the ban of 1975 and turtle causing salmonella poisoning. I did do my research on the different types of habitats turtles may need. Since I didn't know what kind he was, I came to a deadend. I came across many websites that had filters I could checkoff different features of his body but came to a deadend too. Not to mention, my main research was not to find out what type of turtle he was when I got him last Monday. My main focus was how to handle him and if my children were allowed to handle him and how safe it was. That was my main research. This is where I came across the information about it may be illegal for a person to sell baby turtles. This is where I checked my resources and FOUND that the seller was licensed & these turtles are native to Florida, where I live. So, I became a member of this forum because I was told it was a good place to go for info. So, thanks for your information, again. I really appreciate it.

mcnealmill

AC Members
May 3, 2017
There is no way that seller's license was legal. Its against federal law to sell turtles under four inches unless it is an educational purpose, i.e. selling them to a school.

The turtle needs a filter, a heater (water 68-76 F), a dry basking spot with temp about 80 and a UVB (the 5.0 one for tropical animals) bulb, he needs a calcium rich diet but also one that includes a bit of plant matter. He'll need a tank that is 4 ft x 2 ft at bare minimum.
Thanks.

mcnealmill

AC Members
May 3, 2017
I'm a little confused about the feedback on licenses the seller my daughter got our Turt from is doing something illegal and etc. but there numerous websites that sell these same turtles, about the size of a quarter, online. They are bred, not taken from the wild. Not just red-eared, but many other turtles. I'm a little confused.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store