What macro algae would you recommend adding to a DT?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cheech

Global Moderator
Jan 13, 2000
Montreal, Canada
I'd like to add some macro algae in my tank, behind the rocks. Mainly because I want something that will help promote pod growth but also because I saw a tank similar and it gave it a really nice and natural look.

Anything you would recommend that won't take over the tank but still looks good ?

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Flame tip dragon's tongue is probably my favorite macro if you can find it. Fairly easy to grow, very pretty and not invassive.

Edit: Tangs will devour it.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Most of your red macro's are pretty safe as far as not taking over the tank(portieria,eucheuma spinosum,gracilera) like greech says some are edible and tangs or angels may eat it faster then it grows. Most of the green macro's run the risk of taking over the tank if you don't stay on top of them or you got some of the calcified green macro's but they don't do much for pod protection they can look nice though(pencil cap, shaving brush, mermaid fan etc)

I have eucheuma spinosum in my DT, my angel only occasionally nibbles at it, its similiar to gracilera but thicker and rubbery.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store