What macro lens do you use?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

clubracer

Registered Member
Mar 23, 2020
Hi everyone,

Does anyone use a macro/micro lens to take photos of their fish and aquariums? I'm struggling to get the close up shots I want, and Nikon's auto settings aren't doing it for me. I have a Nikon D7000 paired with a Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens. What lens do you use and what are your go-to settings? Any advice for a photography newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I use my phone mostly but i also use a Nikon D700 but i use a 17-80mm lens.

If you are struggling to get a focus shot, try out manual focus on your camera. Auto is harder to use for unpredictable moving small subjects.

Use manual, and try to focus on something in the same plane as the fish you want to photograph and wait for the fish to come into the focus range :)

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
I use my phone mostly but i also use a Nikon D700 but i use a 17-80mm lens.

If you are struggling to get a focus shot, try out manual focus on your camera. Auto is harder to use for unpredictable moving small subjects.

Use manual, and try to focus on something in the same plane as the fish you want to photograph and wait for the fish to come into the focus range :)
I agree, did the same with my iPad

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Canon 65 or 100m L macro lens.

Depending on mood.

A couple of things to remember. A lens will still have a minimum focusing distance, know that and bear it in mind when taking the picture.

A smaller apersure (or larger f-number) will mean a greater depth of field.. more will be in focus at differing lengths from your camera.

You can use a smaller aperture by increasing shutter speed, increasing ISO or increasing light. Off camera light is likely the best option if you are at home working.

Shoot in RAW, you can increase a bit of the light in the picture without losing much definition to bump up the light in the picture lost by lowering aperture.

If you are using a DSLR, practice, turn off autofocus, go to full manual or go to aperture priority for now.

If you insist on using autofocus, go and Google back button focus.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
If you are gonna focus manually and let the fish move into focus, invest in a remote shutter release and a tripod.

Stephpartin

AC Members
Sep 15, 2016
Hi everyone,

Does anyone use a macro/micro lens to take photos of their fish and aquariums? I'm struggling to get the close up shots I want, and Nikon's auto settings aren't doing it for me. I have a Nikon D7000 paired with a Nikon AF-S VR Micro-NIKKOR 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED lens. What lens do you use and what are your go-to settings? Any advice for a photography newbie would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
An Olympus F 2.8 60mm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store