what other fish can i add?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishyWarrior

AC Members
Jun 10, 2017
schaumburg, Illinois
Real Name
Alyssa
I have a 28 gallon nano reef with a pygmy hawkfish, mandarin goby, and a royal gramma and i was wondering if there was another fish i could add that would be compatible? I know small gobies would be good to put in but i was wondering what other options i could add that would swim around like the gramma does and not stick to the bottom or hide all the time. i know the tank is pretty small and if i had to go with a bottom dweller instead thats perfectly fine.

I tried a firefish about a month ago. He made it through quarantine without a problem but as soon as he went into the tank my gramma wasn't having it. There was lots of chasing but nothing too violent and they seemed fine after a few days, but then suddenly the firefish disappeared and i haven't seen any sign of it since. I tore apart the tank but can't find him so i am assuming he died and my inverts took care of him before i noticed. I really liked him too so it sucks, but i don't want to try another firefish after that.

If there's any cool or unique options id love to hear them. I do have a bunch of inverts and coral in my tank so that will have to be taken into account, just a few hermits, a serpent star, and a fire shrimp.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
What happens in your tank is that the royal gramma has taken over the territory, if you add another fish such as a goby, a wrasse or a blenium, all will be victims of the royal gramma's territoriality, the only fish you can adding is a clownfish, and then you would have the limit of your biological load.

Lalo J.

AC Members
Mar 8, 2020
México
Or you can do the following:
1. remove the royal gramma from the tank
2. make a new aquascape, totally different from the one you have
3. add the new fish to be installed in the tank and minutes later return to the royal gramma to your tank, the new aquascape will disorient the fish, and hopefully its territoriality will decrease

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store