What other types of tetras will school with neon tetras?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

infinity+1

AC Members
Jun 20, 2009
Ireland
I see alot of conflicting advice on this on the internet so im asking here.

I have 4 neon tetras atm and looking to add maybe 4 of another species or maybe 4 of one and 4 of another. Would any tetra of similar size and shape do?

Wycco

Eat more pine trees
Apr 19, 2009
34^N 81^W
Real Name
Kim Jong Il
I'm no expert but my tuppence:

If you ask your neons what they would prefer- they'd probably just give you a blank stare- but if they could they would tell you they prefer more of their own species.

If you only have 4 neons- they'll probably school with any other similar size shape and temperament fish. Such as glow light tetra, black neons, etc.

However- if you were to have a dozen of each- they would likely seperate into two different schools prefering to school with fish of their own species.

Honestly, I think your fish will probably be happier and do better with more of their own-kind, but if you have limited space and really want the variety- I'm sure a different species with similar shape/size and temperament would be better than no schooling-companions at all and they would form one happy group.

As a kid I had a similar set up with a small number of Neons and glowlights in a single school.

lateinningmagic

Call Me E-Man
Apr 14, 2009
New York
Neons don't really school once they feel safe in your tank. They tend to disperse to all parts of the tank and occasionally "tag" each other when they come close. There might be another tetra like cardinal which would school with them when they feel scared, but in a well suited tank they won't be schooling much.

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
I have 4 cardinal tetras and a neon, that snuck into their tank at the LFS, apparently. :lol: When they were in the QT they all schooled together. In the bigger tank, they don't school at all, and the neon seems perfectly content to me. *shrug*

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I agree with the posts above that say get more neons, 1 group of 8 will look better than 2 groups of 4. Different groups may swim together though, but as has already been said, they will eventually all split up anyway.

I have 2 neons (they are survivors from my 10G where a betta ate their friends) who happily swim with my black neons and rummy nose, they also all spread around and mix together, if my angel is feeling like chasing them, then they bunch up together, but only in their own species.

Sweet CupnCakes

AC Members
Dec 19, 2011
so. california
I have a question for the ones that say they don't really school once they are comfortable. I am in the same boat as some others that my tetras don't seem to want to live. I have 1 neon that is doing really well now. I was going to get another batch of tetras so he isn't lonely but do you think if he is comfortable he needs friends? I have a 10-gallon and there is a betta and 3 cory cats in there.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store