What pump do I want?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SpongeBob

Fry Cook
Nov 27, 2002
Bikini Bottom
Yes, I fanally got my 125! I'll be painting the back in the AM and then moving into its place...

Next on the needs list is the sump & pump. I want to turn at leats 1,000 GPH at 4' head with the return -- I do not want to skimp on the return pump. Are GRIs worth the price? Thinking about a GRI 520 from Champion Lighting for $279 US.

Also, do I absolutely want to go external pump? Internal would be easier and faster to get going with a 30 or 40 as a sump.

While I'm at it... Anyone have any experience with wetdryfilters.com? Thinking about getting a sump from them... Their stuff looks quite nice.

Last edited:

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
Christian (the guy that owns/runs www.wetdryfilter.com) is a good guy. I believe hes registered here (he was before we upgraded) and is around alot to answer emails and posts on www.reefcentral.com. Youll be more than pleased with anything you buy from him.

GRI pumps are excellent. Quiet, pretty energy efficient, long-lasting, dont transfer much heat, and are plenty strong enough. The downsides as you noticed, is its price tag.

internal pumps are not as rugged (magdrives frequently have problems restarting) and will put alot more heat into your water. They are also at lot less energy efficient, my mag 7 runs at something like 1.3 amps.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store