What should i do?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
I have gone through 3 penuin bio wheel filters in the past week or so!

I have to keep returning it because wen i go to turn it on i can instantly tell that there is something wrong.

The first one and second one had motor housing noise.

The third could barely start and when it did still made motor noise.

I have done practically everything possible and even called marine land.

Petsmart is getting pretty upset with me too!

For me it has been an inconvenience and stressful.

The tank this is going on has fish and i have made a temp filter for now but it really needs a standard filter soon.

On one of my african cichlid tanks i have had one of these penguin 200's on there for two years now and have had no probs.

Please be quick about posting, i was going to go with my parrets to petsmart today.

silentskream

AC Members
May 16, 2004
Florida
what do you mean by motor housing noise?

pengiuns are not silent filters.. there will be some noise.
but a clanking noise normally means that there is somethihg in the filter motor. normally they're packaged in plastic.. did you take that off?

i dont really understand exactly what you mean.. but my only real suggestion is that if you're not happy with the penguins, switch to a different brand.

Featherfin

Student
May 2, 2007
Savannah, GA
:iagree:

i use a 350 magnum canister on my 10 gallon, though. :perv:

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
There will be a noise when you first start it, about 5 seconds, until the pump pulls up water in the reservoir, try filling the reservoir with a glass of tank water the same time you turn it on, those are very reliable filters and many people use them and they usually last for many years........:)

Last edited:

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
yeah, did you help the filter out by putting water into it before the motors started to strain?

syddakyd

AC Members
Jan 7, 2006
yea you have to fill HOB filters with water and that noise happeneds when sand is stirred up into the filter and it will shut off

dmopar74

AC Members
Jan 14, 2007
There will be a noise when you first start it, about 5 seconds, until the pump pulls up water in the reservoir, try filling the reservoir with a glass of tank water the same time you turn it on, those are very reliable filters and many people use them and they usually last for many years........:)
took the words right out of my mouth, i have had penguin filters running for 3 years and this happens every week when i do a w/c, very normal.

cichlidcichlid

AC Members
Jun 15, 2006
You miss understand!

I have done everything possible to get it to work. There is something seriously wrong with it.

Every single one!

I was disappointed because i have had one of these, the very same model to and it works great.

The one i have been trying to get though isn't working out.

I have filled it completely before even turning it on!
I have taken apart the filter housing and inspected the impellor and done this many times!
I have checked for lose carbon floating around, even just not even putting i the biowheel or the filter cartrige all together.
I have have called the company and petsmart, all that did was bring me into a long conversation about how i must not be put the filter together correctly and also to try what i already stated above. Then they give me this speech about how i am the only one having problem with this filter and if i keep returning it i will have to take my business else where.

As you can see it has all gotten really messed up!

Oh almost forgot, just to make sure that it wasn't just me i got every member of my family and they all said it was to loud so now my argument is it is not just me any more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store