What size bulkheads?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Mark_Lide

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
I have a 45 gallon that I will be drilling for a sump and I would like to know what size bulkheads I should drill for. I know the return needs to be smaller than the drain and I was thinking of going with a 1.5" for the drain and a 1" for the return. Are my thoughts correct?

Thanks for any help
Mark

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Consider how much water needs to go through the system. Normal flow rate for a sump set up is 3x - 5x system volume per hour. If you use a 20 gal sump you'll probably add 5 gals of volume. Even though the tank doesn't really hold 45 gals, let's say system volume is 50 gal. 5x that is 250 gph. You do want a bit of a safety margin to account for decreased flow over time due to stuff building up in the lines, perhaps even a partial obstruction. A 1" drain will flow over 600 gph. More than enough capacity. If you want more flow in the tank use powerheads or a closed loop.

Mark_Lide

AC Members
Jun 13, 2010
The sump will be about 25 gallons or so with a refug in middle. So I'm gonna guess I'll be adding about 15 gallons to my system. So do I need to have the drain larger than the return? Say 1" for the drain and 3/4" return or just both the same size?

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Unless your set up absolutely requires it, why even drill for the return? Just plumb it up and over. Drilling a tank isn't that big a deal, but each time you do it you are risking cracking it. Why run the risk more times than necessary? Or if you're paying somebody to do it, why pay for something you don't need? The size of the return pump outlet should be your guide on what sized hole to drill, if needed.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store