what size pond heater should i get

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

aldiaz33

AC Members
Aug 27, 2007
Biggie, did you ever set this pond up? If so, how many watts are you using to heat it?

Originally Posted by SubRosa
There must be a glitch in the program. Just to test it out I entered all of the info to keep a standard 55 at 20 F above ambient and got a break even of 198W and a recommended 220W.

I will pretty much guarantee that the calculator on that site isn't very applicable to an above grade indoor pond, since it makes no provision for either above or below grade or different materials used in constructing it. These two factors will greatly effect heat loss and therefore the amount of input needed. Although the OP calls it a pond, it's really an aquarium from the practical standpoint of heating it.

Subrosa, the calculator you referenced is not designed for larger tanks or ponds. I would be stoked if all I needed was a 62 watt heater for my 770G. While I agree that the calculator I referenced likely overstates the required wattage, the calculator you posted wouldn't heat the above ground pond by a single degree. Buying too much heater only means that the water is heated very quickly to the desired temperature and shuts off once that temp is achieved. Using an underpowered heater will result in it working a lot harder and for longer than they are designed and will lead to failure.

I just ran the numbers on a 10'x10'x4' pond (roughly 3,000Gallons). Your calulator gives a break even wattage of 149 and a recommended minimum wattage of 166. This kernsanalysis calculator does not work for larger tanks, ponds etc. If you try to heat 3,000 gallons 20F above the ambient air temp with only 166W, the heater will be on 24/7 and it will never achieve your desired temp....I can guarantee you that.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store