What temperature do snails thrive for a Snail Breeding Tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

RENEGADE

the one and only RENEGADE
Mar 19, 2003
Los Angeles CA
Visit site
mine have been room temp (about 74-76) and i just spotted some eggs! (but i need to get a puffer)

Mantis_22

Blue Dreams Webmaster
Mar 24, 2003
Somerset, KY
www.blueskyff.s5.com
how would I get snails to breed? I have a 5 gallon tank bare with a 5-15 aquatech filter and small heater. I went to walmart today and my buddy who was working let me get some snails from some of the planted tanks so I just got 3. I have them in the tank now and zuchhini alot some lettuce are hanging at the top. Im gonna get more by the end of this week in there so I guess the more the better...

net_shark512

Useless Chit Chat Posts 999,999
Dec 15, 2002
Whitehall,Pa
Visit site
My wife one time brought home a tiny little baby snail thinking it was cute. In a few weeks there were tons of them every where. I was not happy. I picked out what I could and got 2 clown loaches that took care of the rest. Snails are A sexual. They don't need a mate to reproduce. They reproduce by themselfs very fast.

RENEGADE

the one and only RENEGADE
Mar 19, 2003
Los Angeles CA
Visit site
the question is "how do i get them NOT to breed?" you will have no problem getting them to breed(i have had mine 3 days and theres eggs!!!)

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
Not all snails are asexual. The most common asexual snails are pond snails. Apple snails on the other hand, AKA mystery snails, inca snails, gold snails are not asexual, easily identified by thier syphon they they use to breathe air at the top of the aquarium. If you have one it is suggested that you keep one inch of space at the top of the aquarium. the sypons can be at least an inch themselves. If you do get these snails to reproduce they will lay thier eggs above the water line. These snails can get huge, up to 2". I bought one at a lfs that was labeled plainly a gold snail. I figured it would be a nice treat for my green terror. He does try to kill the snail, but the snail is still around. I think it will survive as the GT cannot fit the snail in its mouth. This snail was very small when I got him but has grown to at least three times its original size. They will destroy any plant life that you have in your aquarium. Mine can ber very intertaining. He will go to the top and sit at the top of the water line for what seems like an endless amount of time, then he will just let go and drop to the bottom of the tank. Geronimo! well worth the $ or so I spent on him. :)

for more information go to http://www.applesnail.net/

Last edited:

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
Room temp is great for heat. Snails have both sexes and remain impregnated for a long time. So chances are they are pregnant by the time you get them. Normally you get excess snails in your tank if there is excess food for them. This could be extra fish food, lots of tastey algea or even some munchy plants. From what I have seen the eggs can stay unhatched for a short period of time or a long period of time. I had a back that didn't hatch for a month, but some are ready in a week. (Ram's Horn). A floating piece of lettuce is great as the snails will attach themselves to it and then you can just easily pluck it out to either throw away or place into a tank with snail eaters.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store