what to use in my filter

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pinballqueen

Roleplayer
Aug 4, 2002
Sevierville, TN
www.hostultra.com
My point is, there is always the off chance that you will have a fish that has a reaction to the iodine. Just like people, fish can have allergies. Granted, iodine is a rare one, but I have that particular problem myself, as well as niacin and potassium sensitivity....(me, not the fish...)

I try to avoid any chemicals in my tank that are unneccessary, and that includes iodine. Besides, rock salt is almost as cheap as morton's, so in my mind, it's not a big deal to go ahead and have something that is darn near guaranteed not to kill my fish on the rare instance that I would have a sensitive fish...

Just my opinion...

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There's an off hand chance that you'll get a fish that's allergic? Could you document that? Our hatcheries raise millions of pounds of fish each year, and we've never had an allergic reaction in any of them. Some fish are very sensitive to salt, but it doesn't matter what kind of salt (sodium variety) you're dealing with, they will be sensitive to it. Iodine is a needed element in living organisms...That's why it's added to table salt in minute quantities.

There's so much evidence debunking the myth, and solely anecdotal evidence supporting it.

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
I wasn't making non iodized or iodized the point of my response. My point of my response is how much salt and how it will irritate fish if use a lot. Next time pay attention Faramir.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Faramir was simply stating that the link you referenced disputed the iodized vrs non-iodized myth, nothing else. Didn't seem critical of your post to me.

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
Originally posted by pinballqueen
My point is, there is always the off chance that you will have a fish that has a reaction to the iodine. Just like people, fish can have allergies. Granted, iodine is a rare one, but I have that particular problem myself, as well as niacin and potassium sensitivity....(me, not the fish...)

I try to avoid any chemicals in my tank that are unneccessary, and that includes iodine. Besides, rock salt is almost as cheap as morton's, so in my mind, it's not a big deal to go ahead and have something that is darn near guaranteed not to kill my fish on the rare instance that I would have a sensitive fish...

Just my opinion...
I don't think I'd worry too much about fish being allergic to iodine... I would be concerned about the purity of rock salt. I though rock salt was chock full of impurities...

Bottom line, if the salt is clean and safe for human consumption, it most likely will be OK for use with fish. In most cases, though, it's just unnecessary.

Jim

Twilight

AC Members
Sep 9, 2002
Born in the USA
Thank you OrionGirl......maybe it's just a mis communication. I wasn't even thinking of iodized salt or non iodized salt......just amounts. That's the only reason I went to that site and posted it. Salt amounts. :) I just want to help and thought what I posted would.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store