What tropical tankmates do you have for your goldfish?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Freezekougra

AC Members
May 17, 2009
Brooklyn NY
I was thinking of picking up 2 or 3 fancy goldfish at my LFS for a 75g tank, but first I want to plan out all the tankmates. I'm thinking of keeping the tank at ~75 degrees, which should be a compatible range for some fish. Originally I wanted a nice group of corydoras or otocinclus but according to the sticky they will be eaten. :dance2:

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Cory's and oto's will be eaten. So will White clouds, neons, and any other fish small enough to fit in a fully grown goldfish's mouth (guppies included).

Coldwater fish are best. If the tank is planted one paradise fish does work. If you have rocks or pots for them to breed in rosy reds/fathead minnow also do well (the young of course get eaten). Garra pingi pingi are always recommended and so are weather loaches.

Pleco's are a hit and miss. Some live happily with goldfish others are aggressive. It all depends on the species and the temperament of the fish. Generally they are not recommended for this reason.

Snails get beat up pretty bad by the goldfish. Ramshorns can survive if they are large enough, the babies get eaten. Malaysian Trumpet Snails are the same. The larger apple snails often get tore up when the goldfish make a game of knocking them off the walls.

I've got a couple of large SAE's that I toss in with the goldfish to control the BBA. They don't seam to cause a problem but I have only single-tailed types and I only leave them in for a week or so feeding voraciously.

Generally almost all of the common tropical fish sold are completely incompatible with goldfish. Not necessarily because of temperature but temperament.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Dojo loaches will work fine. I never had issues combining adult apple snails with goldfish. Bristlenose plecos may work. Male BN plecos usually are more territorial so you'll have better luck if you try the females instead although if you insist on trying males, you must have a back up tank to prepare in case it doesn't work.

geekboy

AC Members
Jul 1, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I added a dozen baby SAEs to my 60G fancy goldfish tank a few weeks ago, and I was actually surprised that they were all left alone. I also have 5 Oto cats, 4 Dojo Loaches, and 2 small bristlenose plecos.

My goldfish (2 comets, 1 Ryukin, 1 oranda, 2 Fantails) seem quite reserved when it comes to munching on smaller tankmates, but your mileage may vary. I have tried snails as well, but they never last. I can't say for sure whether the goldfish or the dojos get to them first.

GoldLenny

Senior Member? Do I get a 5% disc.?
Fancy goldfish are not a threat to minnow type fish compared to long-bodied goldfish.. since the fancy goldfish can't catch the minno type fish.

Here's a list of other cool water fish that are often sold as tropical fish... although fancy goldfish also seem to do better in water temps around 75F rather than in the low-70's high 60's like the long-bodied more normal goldfish.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/fishqa/f/coldwaterfish.htm

I should add that I have a 3" Clown Pleco (max length 3.5" to 5" depending on species... for which I'm still not sure on mine.. lol) in with my fancy goldfish with no problems... going on 2 years. He keeps my 65G pretty clean of algae. I don't mind some algea.

RavenX

Registered Member
Sep 1, 2010
I never have a problem with fancy goldfish or moors... they really aren't fast enough to catch a lot of fish ... on the other hand my koi... even the butterfly can get up some serious speed. I've found giant danios any variety of gourami, pictus cats bala sharks. all seem to do ok and of course I've never had problems with a plex.

Bubbles2112

Is someone behind me???
Jun 22, 2008
North Carolina, USA
Real Name
Barbara
I keep marmorkrebs and/or Procambarus alleni crayfish with my goldfish. The goldfish love to eat the baby crays and it provides them with additional stimulation.

Also the electric blue coloration of the Procambarus alleni crays looks awesome with the orange of the goldies. :clap:

OrandaRookie

It's not just orandas now
May 21, 2007
UK
I've kept minnows and zebra danios with my fancies from the very beginning. Most of these tiny fish have actually outlived some of my goldfish.
I have a common goldie living with my fancies and he has never bothered with the minnows and danios

rainbowcharmer

AC Members
Jul 30, 2007
East Coast, USA
Well this thread makes me nervous since I was planning on tossing the rescued comet that I have in with my 75 gallon tank until the pond is built next year. For now he's QT'ing in the 10 gallon on my counter, but I can't leave him there long term. He's very small yet - 2" without his tail. None of the fish in the 75 will fit in his mouth now, but if he grows, the red-eye tetras are definitely not going to be safe. :(

now what to do?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store