what type of alge eater can i have with cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

bigmatt76

AC Members
Jan 8, 2005
hey i have one electric yellow and one texas cichlid. i also have live plants and i was wordering what type of alge eater and also i want a bottom feeder can i have in mmy tank. i ahve a 29 gallon if that helps.

matt

Oddball~

Brackhead
Nov 18, 2004
Dallas, TX
none that i know of

HairyFish

AC Members
Jan 11, 2005
The Land of OZ
If i remember correctly, with cichlids the only bottom feeders you can have in the tank are armored ones. The only one that comes to mind right now is the cuckoo catfish. I believe he is actually from the same lakes as some of the african cichlids (but don't quote me on it ;) ). I think there are also a few other breeds of armored catfish out there, you might want to check out some cichlid-specific sites, they usually have listings of other fish compatible with cichlids.

HTH,
Anna

XMAN

AC Members
Nov 24, 2004
RI
I have never kept Cichlids, but I believe they won't mess with a pleco as long as it is bigger than they are. Also, be sure to change the tank layout if you do so, as it helps to throw off any sense of territoriality that the cichlids have. That way they need to reestablish a sense of territory after the pleco has been added. And the pleco won't be viewed as encroaching into an established territory.

Biotoper

AC Members
Dec 18, 2004
Actually, many of the Mbuna cichlid species are algae eaters and are recommended for algae control in a cichlid tank, although I wouldn't think they'd keep your glass clean.

Some of the Synodontis catfish (which include the cuckoo catfish as HairyFish noted), would fit, but I haven't heard of them as being very good cleaners.

The big Plecos (common, snow king, sailfin) can go with cichlids and are good algae-eaters but will get too big for 29 gal. The Bristlenose Pleco can be kept with cichlids but stays small (6") and is a very good algae-eater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store