What type of bichir should I get?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sean_14145

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
So lately I have been wanting a new fish for my 55 gal. I was thinking about a Bichir but I don't know which type I want or would go well with my tank. I have a Green sevrum, a Angel fish, and a Pearl gourami. They get along great. I also decided since the bichirs are always at the bottom they would not bother the other other fish. PLease help me out.:confused: (also feel free to post pictures when recomending a type of bichir.!!!):grinyes::grinyes:

malken

AC Members
Aug 31, 2003
San Bernardino, CA
Visit site
I recommend the only bichir I've ever had, a senegal. He was probably the best fish I ever had. I don't have a pic onhand but those are easy to find online. My senegal had so much personality. he was a bit awkward and would on occasion get himself stuck somewhere.

He had trouble turning left. I'm not even joking about that, just like in Zoolander my fish was not an ambiturner.

side note though, they have no capacity to defend themselves from agressive fin nippers. When I added some tiger barbs the would bother him. He may have killed them one by one but he passed away when there was only one left (I'm guessing from stress from the nipping)

good luck whith whatever you choose.

beblondie

grand high exhalted poobah
Mar 25, 2005
Polypterus senegalus would be your best bet.They generaly stay under12 inches and tend to be very active they are also the most commonly available and the lowest priced-Anne

Sean_14145

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
side note though, they have no capacity to defend themselves from agressive fin nippers.
I have a very well manered Green Severum, will the Bichir hurt it will it hurt the Bichir

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I have a very well manered Green Severum, will the Bichir hurt it will it hurt the Bichir
Neither will hurt each other or so in my experience. Sevs are more mild-mannered compared to most American cichlids.:)

chilligirl

AC Members
Nov 9, 2007
hmmm, reading this thread I'm wondering if I could have a Bichir. There's an Ornate Bichir at the LFS, and I'm in LOVE with this fish. I'd never seen one before, and he's just soooooo neat. Super interested in people, comes up to the glass, follows your finger, etc. They've got him in with some wild caught Angels.

Anyway, I figured he'd eat anything that could fit in his mouth, and that his mouth would get pretty big, am I wrong?

I've got a 90 gallon tank that I'm gradually stocking with fish that fall on the mild-moderate aggression end (right now there's just 4 Angels, a bushynose pleco, and 6 glowlights in there - I know glowlights are community, but they're pretty fast, and if they get eaten, well, they're cheap and it's live food for the other fishies I suppose). pH is 7.0, temp is 79F, sand, lots of silk plants, driftwood, and rock. I plan to eventually have some cory fish, a couple of kribensis, and a couple of African Butterfly Fish in the tank also.

Would a Bichir work in my tank?

Sean_14145

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
Sounds like it would, i just got back from the LFS and I got a senegal bichir that is about 3 inches. it's a very calm fish actually. but they do jump. I would got for it although if it is alreald big your glow lights are going to die they have major teeth. make sure it has a appropriate hidding spot too. Good Luck

chilligirl

AC Members
Nov 9, 2007
Well, he's I'd say 7-8" long, and the only one I've ever seen in any fish stores around here.

Hmmm...I'll have to wait until payday. If he's still there, then it's meant to be, if not, then it's not...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store