what type of dwarf gourami should i get?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cactusgal

AC Members
Dec 1, 2009
Alberta ,Canada
Hi there,
I am thinking of getting some dwarf gourami,I have a 60 gallon tank,With 3 danios,3 guppies,8 neons.

Futer stocking will include
6 harlequins
3 dal. molly's
6 runny nose
2 ottos
(maybe an angel?) undecided yet

So my question is what type of gourami will do well with these thype of fish? and how many gourami can i put together?

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
All the dwarf gouramis are C. lalia...the same species whether or not they call them flame gouramis or just dwarf gouramis. They're all color variants, and any would work with your fish.

So would honey gouramis (C. chuna or sota depending on the day of the week or the book you read). They'd be fine in there, and stay a bit smaller in fact.

You could also stock any of the croaking gouramis, T. leeri (peral gourami) or any of the blue gourami variants (blue/gold/crosby/opaline).

With a 60 gallon tank, you have a luxury and any of those listed above would work.

Eric

Sevast0

AC Members
Jul 11, 2009
New Jersey
I would go with a honey gourami. I've had the other kinds of dwarf gouramis and most died very easily (maybe it was just bad stock). My honey gouramis stayed small, were very active, and very friendly. I kept two together, although I've heard people say you can't have more than one. I have right now a male and female honey gourami, and I've had two male dwarf gouramis together at one point in a 30g with no problems. I have my two honey gouramis together in a 20g now, no problems at all with them.

Davy

AC Members
Jun 16, 2008
OKC, OK
stay away from the angel... itll eat the neons, guppies, and probably the danios if it can catch em

cactusgal

AC Members
Dec 1, 2009
Alberta ,Canada
stay away from the angel... itll eat the neons, guppies, and probably the danios if it can catch em

Yes thats why i havent decided on them yet...some people say they are awful,yet my father runs 4 angels in a community tank with no problems??
He had them since they were babies and grew up with all of the others so maybe thats why?? They are just so wonderful..But I think I'll run a seperate tank for them,and not run the chance of hurting the others!

clb2196

AC Members
Feb 21, 2009
Mass
I would personally do a pearl gourami. I have one, they're gorgeous and very peaceful. They're also- lately at least- of better stock than the dwarf ones, which have been having problems lately. It's also a little bigger, and would be more visible in your tank.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
Watch out for Dwarf Gouramis...some of them are not hardy at all due to inbreeding. Chocolate Gouramis I've heard are not hardy. I do agree with SevastO, a honey Gourami would be a good choice.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Most of my experience is that this rarely happens...maybe in a small tank without out adequate decor/plants for them to hide in or with some aggressive angels, but not routine at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store