What type of shoaling fish is best? (How to stock 55 gallon?)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

nchoe123

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2007
man, the danios i have (actually GloFish) are insane, driving me nuts. along with the six tiger barbs, everyone's always chasing each other around. i'm thinking of a second tank just to have one calm tank and one madhouse... i have a 50g, so there's enough space. lots of plants/wood/hiding spots.

Phil22

AC Members
Apr 9, 2007
nchoe, "madhouse" tank. I think that's an excellent new description of what was my danio/serpae species tank!

Dwarf Puffers

Dec 11, 2006
NS, Canada
Btw, if you get 3 females, order them from a breeder. Domestics are too agressive and territorial, 1 in my 75g is brown and striped, no beautiful red, I'm worried for her. Other one = dominance.

Or go with 1 male or 1 female. They like it that way.

clogstonian

AC Members
Apr 3, 2007
Seattle
my two cents; either a nice school 7/10 rummy nose or Rasbora espe's, mine are always tihgtly schooled nd not nearly as "darty" as rummys . . sometimes they'll just hang in place, schooled together in the current.

15/20 of these in a large tank would be very cool

sillypony

Fish+College=BROKE
Mar 27, 2008
WNY
I would either junk the betta idea, or plan your entire tank around them. Bettas can be finicky, need lots of cover and plants. Plus, you have to be careful introducing them to one anotehr, as they establish hierarchies.
When you put them with other fish, make sure they are fast enough to get away when the betta girls get grumpy (actually, for this danios WOULD work well.) Slow moving fish may get harrassed by the betta girls.

IF you do get female bettas, do lots n lots of reading on 'sorority' tanks, and then either buy them from a breeder who already has them living together, or go to the LFS, and pick out ones that are, again, living together. Watch the tank, and make sure they are all peaceful and happy (and healthy). Then buy the whole lot. (My lfs gets in on avg 3-6 at a time.)

If you do it any other way, you may end up running back to the store a few times, or setting up another tank, just for that one female betta that is getting harrassed, or harrassing the others. ultimatebettas.com is a good reference on them, lots of articles.

I definitely recommend a small species of pleco as a bottom feeder. I love my two. And cories, or even certain loaches, are GREAT fun to watch. Especially if you go with nice peaceful upper level fish- like tetras.

I'm eager to here what you pick!

oscaremmy

Keeper of the Frogdog
Feb 27, 2008
East Central Indiana, USA
Another big vote for harlequin rasboras from me. I just bought another 6. Much prettier than in the fish store and tend not to lurk hidden from view, but quite a calm shoaler (not manic like zebra danios - the starlings of the fish world).

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
In my 100gal the only fish that tries to school are my golden barbs. I have cardinals (12) with 4 angels (semi-large) and they do not school.

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
I've found cardinals to school mainly out of necessity. Harlequin rasboras tend to be really tight schoolers, as do most danios. My choprai danios school beautifully, but they are pretty nippy for fish of their size. GBRs aren't difficult if you have a well established tank, good params, and fish not of Asian farm origin (I mean the rams). May I suggest green fire tetras as one of your schoolers?

Hungriee

AC Members
Jan 24, 2008
NYC
I currently have a schoal of rummy nose tetras; they are excellent schooling fish; always swimming in a pack. GBRS are difficult but as long as the water is good; and tank is established - then they will be very happy. I have a Bolivian and a German Blue Ram - -- I think i have two females and they bash their heads together all the time but no phsycial damages. Its fun to watch them compete for food...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store