What type of wood is this?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I picked this up a while ago and I think it’s manzanita and want to use it in one of my tanks. Think it’s manzanita and think it’s safe?

11D99609-497E-4196-AEED-7D590F876A77.jpeg

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Not sure if it's manzanita, but it looks like hardwood and it looks dry enough to be safe. I've used a lot of dried out hardwood that I've picked up, but I always knew without doubt what kind it was. Most hardwoods are safe to use in aquariums except fragrant types, such as apples and other fruits and things like lilac bushes. These become safe with time, but it takes a lot longer than something like cottonwood or manzanita. I'd make sure it's completely dry and I'd boil it first. The biggest thing I'd be worried about is that it may have been exposed to any kind of chemical and that those chemicals were absorbed into the wood, especially pesticides and herbicides. Even boiling probably won't help with that.

WYite

Reactions: Sprinkle

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
Not sure if it's manzanita, but it looks like hardwood and it looks dry enough to be safe. I've used a lot of dried out hardwood that I've picked up, but I always knew without doubt what kind it was. Most hardwoods are safe to use in aquariums except fragrant types, such as apples and other fruits and things like lilac bushes. These become safe with time, but it takes a lot longer than something like cottonwood or manzanita. I'd make sure it's completely dry and I'd boil it first. The biggest thing I'd be worried about is that it may have been exposed to any kind of chemical and that those chemicals were absorbed into the wood, especially pesticides and herbicides. Even boiling probably won't help with that.

WYite
Thanks, I picked it up about 8 years ago thinking it was manzanita and I was gonna polish it and make a lamp, it was pretty dry when I picked it up 8 years so it’s definitely dry, do you think that’s enough time to be safe for use?

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
Yeah, that should be long enough. When I pick up wood, I usually throw it out in the field for a couple of summers where my wife's insecticides, herbicides, fertilizers, and whatever else can't get on it and call it good. With apple and other stuff I'll leave it out there for three or four. My wife isn't especially happy about my piles, lol.

WYite

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
It doesn't look like manzi I see around here but it might be. I see more skinny branchy manzi but there must be stumps huh? I mostly agree with WYite, hardwoods are fine. I picked up a "log" from a reservoir (& met a guy who said "I hope that's going in a fish tank", lol). When I tried to dremel off the rotted parts it smelled like cherrywood...by the time I removed the rot...well, there wasn't much left sniff.

Never use yew, it's poisonous I think. Softwoods like pine aren't good either, they tend to float forever. Well, they can be used if screwed (stainless steel screws) to slate or something. I used to have a site for tank safe woods but I've lost it over the years & only helps if you know what you've got...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store