what vegetables can bristlenose plecos eat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sabbath

AC Members
Jun 1, 2010
North Haven, CT
Thanks folks, glad you like the pic. I go go through the zucchini like crazy! I have a pair that just won't stop, so I have quite a few of the little critters at all times. In fact, I have about 30-40 more babies I am about to release. My ABN's eat the wafers as well. Just as well as fresh veggies. I also feed protein once a week, they like live bbs, frozen brine, and they LOVE bloodworms! Just don't go to crazy with the meaty foods. I give them fresh shrimp sometimes as well. When they are new fry, I dump in powdered spirulina and turn off the filter long enough to let it settle. It gets all over everything, and once they figure it out, they scarf it up with gusto! That's another thing to be careful with, too much of that stuff and you'll foul your water.

Vince G.

AC Members
Dec 27, 2010
Roselle Park, NJ
Mine eat Zucchini and Spinach. They were funny about the Spinach at first, and didn't touch it for a day or 2 . After they realized I wasn't taking it out, they went to town on it.

spirok

Registered Member
Feb 22, 2014
Hi there,

could anyone tell us how to prepare the veggies before putting them in the tank.

Most of the available veggies have at least small amount of pesticides or similar chemicals.

Is there a way to safely remove these chemicals before giving them to the fish?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Just wash them off as you would for your own consumption. I use to blanch my cukes/squash before feeding but stopped that years ago and haven't had any issues.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
Peas are fine, in fact, for most fish. They just need to have the shells removed before feeding. I put a bunch in a cup of water, then microwave it, let it cool, and shell the peas. All my fish go for it. Good luck.

Ava shady

Registered Member
May 18, 2017
How do you feed only 2 brittlenose in an community tank and also I have tied the cucumber to stone using a ribber band ,is it harmfull for the fish??and also if u keep frozen zucchini the wont there be any bacterias in it???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store